Allergic to fish?

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Well, no, not really. I just didn't know how else to word the title.

I don't understand why fish does this to me...specifically tilapia. I love tilapia...I normally broil it in the oven with cajun seasoning and it comes out yum. All of the sudden, it started making me sick. I had been eating it for months, but out of the blue, it started giving me stomach pain. No breaking out in hives or anything, just nausea and pain. I quit eating it for a long time, and then just recently started up again. I've been eating it for a month and then bam! All the sudden, it starts happening again.

The way it is cooked or the "batch" it comes in has absolutely nothing to do with it. I can't figure out why it makes me sick sometimes, and other times not.

Anyone have a clue what it could be?

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I've been giving this some thought, and I'm sorry but I'm completely at a loss. It doesn't make sense that it bothers you sometimes but not all the time.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
You could have mild allergies, get tested for it.

That's all I can think of. You obviously don't eat it heavily and consistently, right? Like, once a day for seven days a week right? :p

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
I agree with Cons. you probably have some slight allergies to it, so get tested for it.

And yeah obviously if you eat a lot of it then it's going to make you sick.

It's possible that it might not be connected to the tilapia at all and you're reacting to something else, and there are always those mixtures of foods that can make you sick.

Do you have any allergies to anything major, say wheat, or some vegetables or fruits?

I looked this up and ran across this.

Researchers discover possible dangers of tilapia

maybe read this one too.

The Latest Food To Be Targeted As Dangerous: Tilapia fish - Blogger News Network

I'm not sure what kind of information you might be able to pull from that but it's worth a shot.

Bliss

Sally Twit
I suggest that Kay washes down there before you go down on her again.

It's rubbish that people can develop allergies at any time, especially when it's something they enjoy. Maybe it is something you're having with it or on it and not the fish itself.

Nixola

Boom Boom Pow!
Perhaps it is something wrong with your stomach or body and not the actul fish itself. Maybe you have begun to devlope a week stomach or something.

Have you been to the doctor about it? Maybe he/she could help you out.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
that's not how allergies manifest. it's likely not a true allergy. i'm thinking more along the lines of the structure of the protein in the fish and your body's ability to break it down. I hate to be a smartass, but if tilapia is the only thing that does it to you, stop eating tilapia. :shrug: if it happens with other food, then I'd think about talking to your doctor.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Well of course I'm going to stop eating it if it's bothering me :| I'm at least smart enough for that.

The purpose was to get ideas of why it may be bothering me sometimes, and not all the time.

Thanks for the input.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
It's rubbish that people can develop allergies at any time, especially when it's something they enjoy.
Explain that to my cousin who after basically eating a jar of peanut butter every week from the age of 5 to 12 suddenly became violently allergic to peanuts. Allergies can most certainly develop and it can definitely happen to things you enjoy.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Hmm. Heart disease runs in my family, and I do have arthritis due to a spinal issue I have...although the article says nothing about WHY it affects people with arthritis and hearth disease negatively.

I'm just a picky eater and it was a relatively mild fish...so that's why I was eating it. Also, I haven't tested it this time...but the last time it made me sick, I couldn't eat any white fish, including cod.