Xbox 360 All kinds of disks don't play when HDD is connected.

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Vixen, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Vixen

Vixen Registered Member

The problem is, this piece of shit was working before I left to stay with my boyfriend, but my uncle was staying at the time, now he doesn't look after anything. When I came around it always looked to be working because he was on it 24/7 (No, literally) but when I come back to stay I was like, that's weird, he isn't playing the xbox. So I went to go get a shop myself, the bitch didn't read cd's/dvd's/games It would say reading then open tray.

Then my little cousin came to stay, so I used his console with my harddrive, worked no problem..

Now last week I thought, fuck it i'll try it again and because my HDD wasn't connected (This wasn't deliberate) I tried putting a cd in, worked. So I tried a game, it worked.

Put my HDD on, the console rebooted and tried the game again and it said the same thing about open tray. Tried my little cousins and as far as I know, his worked.

My xbox isn't a arcade it's a Xbox 60 Gig it's 3 years old (I think) but my warranty ran out in March (how convenient).

When I went to listen to music I noticed my uncle had installed all his songs onto my harddrive and his cd's are always fucked and are scratched and skip etc all because they don't have cases. They also have alcohol over it (He was an alcoholic - also found this out by the 5 bottles of gin i found behind my bed and 7 cans of beer behind my telly :|)

So I was wondering if anyone would know what's wrong, maybe I just need to reinstall the HDD or something. I'm good with PC's just not the technicals of a Xbox lol.

2. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

If they play without the HDD then your issue is with the hard drive. How about you attach the HDD from another 360 to yours and see if it plays then?

If not then your disk drive is fucked.

3. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

It sounds like it may be a simple answer, he may have damaged the console. Also, there's no difference between 360 consoles just by their HDD size. An arcade is the same console as an Elite, the name really only refers to the amount of space you get at initial purchase.

4. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

The Arcade doesn't have chrome and the Elite is black.

The Elite also got the RRoD fix because a lot of the white 360s were still sitting in warehouses/backstock. That's the only inside difference.

5. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I was talking mechanically. Also, the Elites were certainly not free of the RRoD. That fix was slowly built into all systems once Microsoft realized they made kind of a big mistake.