• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Alien

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
An Observation:
How come aliens have a human figure?

I don't mean they look like a typical bloke going down the shops.
Yet they have legs and arms and a head, like a human. Or at least a primate.
In fictional material at least. The best imaginative source we have to go on in the subject. (Perhaps).

They are supposed to be an insight into otherworldly beings, so (some) Sci-Fi fanatics reckon. Then why does the human figure make sense in the description of an alien? Or in the portrayal of an alien, in which so much material suggests to be the case?
Even in Alien, the monster has arms and legs and a head (no matter how deformed).

How is this so? Does it discredit the concept of an 'alien'?

*I have no real opinion, this is just an observation*
So, please discuss. -- I may contribute later.

Last edited:

wolfy

Registered Member
Because humans came up with the idea of what an alien would look like, and humans are intensely arrogant creatures who see themselves as the 'superior' species of their planet.. so they imagine that the most technologically advanced creature of another planet would resemble themselves.

MiloIsYum

Registered Member
Although not relevant, can I ask how you might see other animals on this planet as more superior than humans? Your comment suggests that you believe we aren't, although I don't see how we're not?

Well ... yeah, like the guy above me said, I guess it's just cause it's a humans take on what an alien looks like? We are the dominant species of this planet, arrogant or not, so I guess because aliens have never been spotted by us, the only thing we have to go by is what we know on this planet?

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
Wolfy hit the nail on the head with this one.

How else should they be portrayed though? Like other animals (four legged) or birds? Or something completely different? How far does the human imagination stretch?

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Wolfy hit the nail on the head with this one.

How else should they be portrayed though? Like other animals (four legged) or birds? Or something completely different? How far does the human imagination stretch?

I don't think we need to worry about our imagination.

Dabs

Registered Member
In all of the photos of aliens I have seen....well, what people portrayed them to look like, it's mainly the head that's so...different.
Bigger and odd shaped.
And no clothing, they seem to be naked...what's up with that??

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I dont think its safe to say that all Aliens are bound by a Humoid Stature.

What I will say I believe is a safe assumption assuming aliens are bound by the same rules of existence we are is that Alien figures will have a Head, Torso, and Limbs.

By Rules of existence I'm referring to the most basic needs of; Consuming, Breeding, and Dying. Consuming requires some sort of Digestive System, Breeding requires obviously reproductive system, and Dying just implies the metaphorically that the system as a whole just eventually runs out of gas at some point.

Taking a look at basically all vertebrate species on earth... they are all bound by those rules of existence and all are representatives of a head, torso, and limbs. So its no surprise to me that all of our concepts of Alien Life tend to be bound by those also.

From a Cockroach style Zerg in Starcraft to Centaur style Andalites in the Animorphs to Dwarfy Midgets in ET.

Dekzper

Registered Member
I noticed they all look almost human too but I see a lot of weird things in sci-fi movies. I also see lots of spacecraft that can travel as fast or faster than light but never age any faster than where they came from. And they always have gravity so nobody floats. if I really believed those things I'd have to believe that being in space is no diff than being on earth. I dont think they really care if it's realistic cause they just wanna do drama.
But NASA was real surprised when they found out that Haley's comet had an electromagnetic core and they have tons of probs trying to understand why all the moons in our solar system are so weird. So I dont think anybody really knows enough to understand what an alien might really look like. Intelligence and strength prolly dont depend much on shape so they'd prolly just be whatever "best" animal survived on that planet. They might even suck in food with more than one "mouth" or move around on tentacles. We need four fingers and a thumb to do things but maybe they could do the same with tentacles. An octopus can grab things but it has no wrists or elbows. And it only has a head and no body... or a body and no head. Anyway, it's eye is on the only body it has except it's tentacles. But aliens could be even stranger than that!
But I dont get why aliens have to look like us. I wouldn't want my friends to all look exactly like me. B O R I N G! I hope aliens look a LOT diff!

wolfy

Registered Member
Although not relevant, can I ask how you might see other animals on this planet as more superior than humans? Your comment suggests that you believe we aren't, although I don't see how we're not?
Humans are the best at what is important to our species- we smugly claim superiority over other animals because of things like our advances in technology and our skills with verbal communication. But I don't think that means we are superior to every other animal in general. What use is technology to, say, a wolf? A wolf is best at what a wolf does- for instance, they are fantastic runners with an endurance not even in the wildest dreams of a human. In running, wolves are better than humans and in creating technology, humans are undoubtedly better than wolves. But these skills are mutually meaningless in the scheme of survival when switched around and applied to the other animal. Because of this I don't believe humans are, in general, superior to any other animal. We're just good at what is important to our species, like every other creature on earth.

So I haven't completely hijacked this thread, back to aliens. I think that it's a mistake in the first place to assume that there would be just one all-important species from a different planet for us to think about. Surely if there is another planet out there that is supporting life, there's a possibility that the life on that planet is as diverse as it is here on Earth. And for all the 'alien' species that might exist, why do we imagine that any of them have anything resembling the technology humans have created? Perhaps on another planet with life, such skills are important to no creature there.