Alexei Kovalev or Saku Koivu

juha82

Registered Member
who is better player?

Kovalev is better pointman and more dynamic player.
I likes more of offensive forwards to watch in the games.
But Koivu is more important player for his team.
When the game is tougher and tighter, Koivu is better then.
He's a leader who is better struggling but i don't still impugn of Kovalev's will.

Your thoughts??

padd

Registered Member
Kovalev, if i had to pick between the two i'd pick Kovalev. Kovalev is also stronger than Koivu.. Koivu is afraid to skate to close to the opposite defense whereas Kovalev could. The only problem I have with Kovalev is that he has all the talent in the world and he only plays well during his contract years. He went from 46 - 84 points in 1 year! Why? because he decided to take 1 year off.. Also Kovalev and Koivu cannot play together.

Don't believe me? I have enough proof during the 2008 playoffs, one of them has to go one has to stay.

juha82

Registered Member
Well it's usually of Finnish-players problem that they afraid to skate closely to the opposite defense.
I have always liked on players if he dares and bluffs(like some P.Forsberg etch...).

Hurraa, Bravoo Individualism.
Usually individualism isn't always a good word in hockey as it's a teamplay but...
in my mind individualism is a big part of it but have to think still, i mean not to risks too much like some "crazy".

If a player can to mixes a feel/emotion and intelligence it's a great equation to me.

Last edited:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Kovalev is the better puck handler, he's the better scorer and he's the better skater. When comparing these two players you have to give the edge to Kovalev he's the better overall player. He can score from any angle, he can dangle anyone with the puck, he's also a solid hitter. But when it comes to leader I have to give it to Koivu, he's the leader of that team, and there's Koivu is one of the best Captains in the NHL in my opinion. I also have to give the edge to Koivu when it comes to playmaking, I believe he's better at finding open teammates then Kovalev is. But don't get me wrong AK27 is a great playmaker as well.

So overall Kovalev is the better player from the two.

padd

Registered Member
Kovalev is the better puck handler, he's the better scorer and he's the better skater. When comparing these two players you have to give the edge to Kovalev he's the better overall player. He can score from any angle, he can dangle anyone with the puck, he's also a solid hitter. But when it comes to leader I have to give it to Koivu, he's the leader of that team, and there's Koivu is one of the best Captains in the NHL in my opinion. I also have to give the edge to Koivu when it comes to playmaking, I believe he's better at finding open teammates then Kovalev is. But don't get me wrong AK27 is a great playmaker as well.

So overall Kovalev is the better player from the two.
Remeber in the last playoffs.. putting these 2 players on the same line was dissapointing.. they went close to no where during the Philly series.. yet Kovalev was playing pretty good when he was without Koivu during the final weeks of the season and the Boston series..