• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Alcohol - and the damage it does.

georgethegent

Registered Member
I'm an alcoholic but managed to stay off it for thirteen months, then, two weeks ago, I fell by the wayside. I've picked myself up now and will be sober for Christmas. A sober life is my aim but there are always problems ahead - what do you think?

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
If you're an alcoholic, there is no problem that can't be made worse by picking up a drink.

Do you have a sponsor, do you go to any meetings? I think you stand the best chance of staying sober by being around people who know that you're trying to stay sober, and who are trying to stay sober themselves.

Good luck, George.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
If you're an alcoholic, there is no problem that can't be made worse by picking up a drink.

Do you have a sponsor, do you go to any meetings? I think you stand the best chance of staying sober by being around people who know that you're trying to stay sober, and who are trying to stay sober themselves.

Good luck, George.
Gonna echo what she said. Stick with friends that support your decision to stay sober, if you start hanging out with people that drink alot and try to pressure you to drink, then they are really not your friends. Think clearly don't pick up a beer, and you will be alright.

Dabs

Registered Member
Having had an alcoholic for my bio Dad, which I never really knew him, and my step-father was an alcoholic and both of my ex-husbands were/are alcoholics.....I really wish you the best of luck!
I know it's hard to beat, but it can be done.
Watching the effects of alcohol and what it does to people and their families, is an awful sight~
I am totally surprised my second hubby hasn't died yet from liver disease, which is how my real Dad died, he drank himself to death.
I wish you the best!

JessEpiphany

Registered Member
I like that. So very true.

George, I can totally relate to where you're coming from. I once went 8 months without a drink and screwed it all up one night. Bad thing is, I let that one night turn into a 9 months. I eventually got back on track and now I've been sober more than 3 years.
It's just one day at a time though.
You've done great before, and you can do it again. I wish you all the best.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
You've obviously done it for 13 months already, so you must know some steps on how to stay sober. I will echo what Jeanie said. Surround yourself with people who stay sober and support you in your quest to sobriety. If there are any friends that you know will influence you to have a drink - steer clear! Easier said than done, I know. I struggle with this part myself.

Another thing. After being sober for many months and falling back, you should try figure out what your trigger is/was to go back to drinking. Focus on resolving that problem/issue - loneliness, anger, fear, whatever. Think about what it is that leads you down that path again and make sure you deal with that to the extend where if it does trigger again, you can recognise it and not turn to drinking.

If you don't already have one, find a sponsor. It helps to have someone to be accountable to and especially someone who has been there and understands what you are going through.

Good luck. If you need to talk, there is a wide audience here at GF filled with wise advice. :)

Last edited: