Alcohol and guns

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by pro2A, Oct 11, 2009.

1. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

There has been some debate recently about concealed carry in restaurants that serve alcohol and bars.

[​IMG]

Personally I see no issue in the matter. Just because you are in a restaurant or a bar, does not mean you will be drinking. To me, it's just another ridiculous ban to play 'gotcha' with regular law abiding people. As you can see in the above map 8 states prohibit the carrying of firearms into a restaurant that serve alcohol. It doesn't matter if you are drinking or not... you can't carry period.

Some states like TN just passed a law allowing carry in bars and restaurants, but you can't drink alcohol. Other states like PA for example treat carrying and drinking like they do DUI's... up to a 0.8 BAC limit then you are illegal.

The following questions is in regards to law abiding citizens with permits to carry... Do you think carry should be banned in restaurants that serve alcohol? Why or why not?

2. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

Hmmm... I would think that maybe if you are in a place that serves alcohol, maybe open carry would be required so that the waiter/tress knows not to serve you alcohol.

Just my thoughts for a compromise? haha

3. pro2A

I would tend to agree, but states like VA prohibit concealed carry in restaurants that serve alcohol... so the only legal option is to open carry. It's a nice loophole in the law. It's not carry in general, just concealed. In VA, much like in PA, I believe it's treated the same, you can legally drink up to the 0.8 BAC limit even while open carrying.

4. Mihael_langley

Mihael_langley Formerly "Maikeru"

In a restaurant i understand. Now at a bar i believe its highly prone to disaster.

Here the turism is high and the bars are always crowded, i've witnessed my fair share of gorusome acts by human beings in these places, if they were allowed to carry guns there would be blood sheed every weekend.

5. Dragon

Dragon Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

I think you should be able to carry a gun in an establishment that doesnt serve alcohol or else something like this will happen.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=0b9_1255128224

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  6. sully09

sully09 New Member

If you drink, then you can't have the gun. However, if you arent going to drink then its fine. The problem is that since it a concealed gun, bar workers wont know you have one if you start to drink. The only solution would be metal detectors at the door of every bar, and if it finds you with a gun then you get a band or marking or something that lets bartenders/waiters/waitresses not to give you alcohol. Which doesn't really seem feasible. Oh well

7. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

To me, it seems like this should be handled like driving. Once you've had a fair share of drink, I think the bartender should be allowed to take your keys and gun. No one makes a logical decision while drunk and having a gun is just as dangerous as having your keys when tanked. I don't see why you think this is another attempt to beat down law-abiding citizens, Pro. I think you're seeing the issue through your own bias here. I think it's merely an issue of truth: drunks are irrational, unpredictable and dangerous in some situations.

8. hotleggs

hotleggs New Member

if it was my pub or restaurant you all would be leaving your bullets outside no guns !!, why do people in america need guns anyway i have never understood it ?

over here in britain if a guy gets punched they punch back , i would say thats a real man no guns needed

9. pro2A

This is why these bans are stupid. Ohio bans carry in bars...

I'd bet dollars to donuts that these guys were not licensed to carry in the state of Ohio.

YouTube - Bar shootout caught on tape

Good luck throwing them out :lol:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  10. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

See Pro, your logic is flawed. You seem to be suggesting that because people will break a law, it shouldn't be a law in the first place or that it's stupid to enforce since people will ignore it. I don't think I need to go into why that's a poor argument or the dozens of examples I can give you.