• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Alberta Politics: Time for an Orange CRUSH!

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
After 44 years of elitist self-entitled egomaniacal rule by the Progressive Conservative party, Albertans have taken a long "look in the mirror" and decided that leader Jim Prentice was right, that they were in fact to blame for the fiscal situation the province was in... by virtue of having voted PC for so many years. Indeed, with overwhelming majority Alberta electorate has chosen to rectify this oversight by voting in the New Democratic Party with such vigor as to ensure a huge NDP majority. The Wildrose party came in 2nd with 21 of 87 seats, and the ousted PC's sit at approximately 11. We've done it Alberta! We're free! While I and a majority of polled voters were hoping for a minority government, the fact that the empire of arrogance has seen the bottom of a big orange boot is reason enough for celebration. "Math is hard" but colors are easy. Orange, Green, and Blue. The way it should be.

It's about freakin' time!

- Cham

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
It's interesting because the NDP ruined Manitoba too, so Alberta is kind of replacing one snake with another. I guess at least its not the Liberals, but NDP is in no way an improvement over PC and remember that fiasco that made Harper get parliament shut down. I think it was either IgnorantTheif or SteppedInDung, but when the liberals tried to steal the government by joining with NDP and thus stealing the majority. Obviously NDP is just a sattelite party for the Liberals. Frankly, none of the current politicians are really the answer. Canadian politics have gone the same direction as the states where its not about what's good for the country, its about what's good for the bank accounts of the politicians. Its kind of depressing.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
Well Albertans are still feeling the trauma of the Redford reign, and the provincial NDP party are under new leadership and I have a good feeling about Rachel Notley. The party knows that Albertans are fed up with the BS and that it wouldn't take much for us to turn on them as quickly as we did the PC's. They have what appears to be a strong platform, and we'll just have to see how the implementation goes, but I think they know they are going to have to be on their best behavior to impress the electorate. I can't speak to the Manitoba situation, except to say that not all NDPer's are created equal.

The Federal Coalition scheme was total garbage, but I look at Federal and Provincial politics very differently. I think we have the Federal political structure we need. The ideal provincial picture however, in my opinion, would see Wildrose in with a minority government with NDP having a very strong opposition status. 2nd to that I'd like to see that situation flipped. But I can say that, even if I and many others didn't get the minority government they had hoped for, we're so f~cking sick of the PC's and their nonsense that it's far past due we gave someone else a shot.

- Cham

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Why would anyone want a minority governent though? That's why this country isn't progressing. Everyone hates on harper for not doing anything during his first term, but really how could he when the liberals as opposition were just saying no to anything he or his caucus/mla's etc etc presented just for the sake of spite. Liberals were butthurt from getting ousted after being in power so long.

You're right though. The government on the provincial level has many different variables than at the federal level. I like the conservatives on the federal federal level because of a lot of the things you can claim on taxes. It actually helps out people with children and what not. Even on the municipal level too. Farmers love it. On a provincial level though? I think Manitoba is just too poor for any of the options to do well.

Alberta on the other hand is a pretty wealthy province with a wayyyy higher standard of living. However, the oil business is suffering right now because of that brief drop in oil prices and what not and I'm not at all confident in the NDP to handle that in any good manner. I have a few friends from Alberta on my facebook, and all of them are pretty upset about the 'Orange takeover' lol.

dDave

V.I.P.
Progressive Conservative Party? Down here that's a bit of an oxymoron to people like me that consider themselves conservative and do not like progressive policy.

We've got two major parties, Republican (tend to be more conservative) and Democrat (tend to be more liberal). The two parties are very much the same in some ways but the only politicians I like (who are very few in number) are all Republicans.

One big thing the Republican party has been facing recently (progressively more over the past 100 years) are people with progressive ideologies trying to take over the party and in many ways they've succeeded. It's very much divided up the party and I'm kind of afraid that it will eventually kill the party and give Democrats the chance to seize control (definitely don't want that).

Anyway. I've had to learn not to place my faith in the Republican party because that will always end up as a disappointment. Instead I've had to study individuals and decide for every person whether or not I like them. I like certain people, not a party.

Just something to consider. :)

Last edited:

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
There's a world of difference between the American and Canadian politics, even if on the surface they both have right and left wing parties. And the electorate have a different way of thinking of things. Most Canadians don't vote, for example, based on the color of a candidates skin, or trivial matters. We want a functional government, and now we have one.

Smel, while at the Federal level, a minority government scenario is not favorable, it is for the same reasons beneficial on the Provincial level, at least here in Alberta. It ensures that the party in power can't run amock and ram through any cock-eyed policies and ideas that cross through their greedy little minds. The opposition parties will generally vote down idiotic ideas to win favor with the electorate. With a majority government, the leading party can play around and nobody can do anything about it. Most Albertans polled wanted to see a leash around the neck of whoever got into power.

Incidentally, we're not so well off over here as some would have you believe. Much of our revenue gets sent down East, and much of what's left ends up being blown stupidly by Provincial politicians. The hope is that at least the latter will now change.

- Cham

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Yah, its a bit of a catch 22. Minority government is great if its a more tyrannical idiot government, but its bad if its actually a good government that wants to do shit, but has their hands tied. Vice versa for majority governments.

Also dDave, what we're calling Progressive Conservatives is actually the old name before they merged with another small party to become just the Conservatives. They changed the name, but still had all the same type of policies and what not. Liberal and Conservative are just names for the parties, but not actually a description of their ideologies. Its hard to compare canadian politics to the US politics..