• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Al Capone

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I am sure this can be an interesting topic if we make it to be. I would like to know your opinions on the following matter. Do you think that if Al Capone was still alive today could he rule chicago like he did back then?

A

A.M. Radio

OOOH! Hometown legend!

Oh, I'm a really proud Chicagoan. Al Capone is an interesting character, because, well, even though this does seem like a romantic idea, he was one hell of a humanitarian. Allegedly.

He was a cruel gangster, killer, ect. But he also gave so much of his money away. He's the only person who could throw an infant baby into the icy cold of Lake Michigan, and later that night sign a check for fifty thousand to a soup kitchen....

But, no. His control was never really absolute. He had many enemies. They would have gotten him, eventually. Besides, after prohibition ended the mobs of Chicago were as good as dead.

Al Capone also did one thing else that interests me. He named Elgin "Chicago Annex". I was filmming a documentary called "Ghosts of Elgin" before the city kicked me out for filming illegally.... ANYWAY, what I noticed is it was, in fact, the perfect town to turn into a home for Chicago Area film Studios (I am one of many Filmmakers who wants Chicago to be the next Hollywood. It's one of the few things me and Quentin Tarantino agree on).

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
That's an interesting point that you just mentioned. Like you said he was targeted by a lot people, but he had so much power and he got out of trouble anytime he wanted too because people were afraid of him. It would be really interesting if he could do the same in this day of age. Some parts of me say yes cause he was so poweful back in the day, and some say no cause society has changed a lot since then.

A

Anonym0uz Bitch

No, I doubt it, we live in a completly different time then he did.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
I'm sure the government would've handled it somehow if mobs got too out of hand. I don't think the government would like such a large city such as Chicago be ruled by mobsters.

A

Anonym0uz Bitch

Yeah, and with the way police and the military are now the mob wouldnt stand a chance.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
You think so. There's still alot of crooked police officers out there I am sure that Al Capone could of convinced a few to let things go. But it's also true that he got off the hook on a lot of things back in the day. It would be impossible for him to get away with it in 2006. I'd still like to see it happen, would you?

Italiano

Film Elitist
I admit it would be interesting to see, but back then (if I may steal a quote from Slevin) the mafia bought cops like cops bought donuts.

And since then we've gotten a whole new set of laws to prevent doing what they were able to do back then.

It's gotten a lot harder to pull off schemes like that without a lot of heads turning.

Plus I don't think anyone would be able to live up the reputation of Capone himself. There was a point and time where he practically owned Chicago in terms of the bootlegging, the territory, the speakeasies, and the law.

Like I said, it would be interesting to see, but it's very unlikely.

A

Anonym0uz Bitch

There are plenty of cops who are corrupted, but they tend to help drug dealers, and organized crime that participates in the selling of drugs, etc.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Very good point that you just said Italiano. It's just there's one part of me saying it could happen because he was so powerful in the 1920's that maybe there's a slim chance he could pull it off today. There's a lot of people that get away with things I am sure he could pull it off even in these days of age.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Babe_Ruth General Discussion 6
Mirage Movies & TV 0