AJAX Web 2.0

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Thermal, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Thermal

Thermal Registered Member

AJAX (Asynchronous JavaScript and XML) has been all the buzz lately, and its interesting how close to desktop applications the web is becoming. Just check out Zimbra and its demos to see AJAX in action. So what is your opinion on AJAX?

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Gmail is also a great demo of Web 2.0 / Ajax in action. I really like it and think it is a step in the right direction for the web in general. A lot of websites are using it now, including these forums. It's built in to the software in various places.

I personally don't know how it works yet because I haven't had the need to use it on my personal stuff but I'd like to learn the basics in the near future since it seems everything is shifting that to web 2.0 now.

3. Thermal

Windows Live Mail is pretty nice, and they finally got it working with both IE and Firefox. Right-clicking is probably my favorite feature, and everything seems to be right there. My main problem with it is the amount of spam I get under that account. Of course, Gmail will probably stay my primary account; I just have too much invested into it, and don't have as many problems with spam.

As far as AJAX goes, I'm pretty impressed with it, even though the concept is about a decade old. My only problem with AJAX is that I'm pretty much a code monkey when it comes to javascript.

4. Mirage

What do you mean by that exactly?

5. Thermal

I don't really know javascript that well, so I normally just piece code together from examples. Of course, with AJAX there are already premade libraries, so I can avoid diving into javascript most of the time. I just don't like changing languages in a middle of a project.

6. leopard22

leopard22 Registered Member

I'm probably going to be getting into some AJAX stuff in the course I hope to start taking in the fall. I'm not sure how deep we'll get, but it looks very, very cool. Hey, I'm a code monkey too. :)

7. Eilt_Druin

Eilt_Druin Registered Member

I'm just beginning to discover AJAX. It is a pretty neat concept - I've long wanted the ability to refresh a small part of page without hitting the reload button. I am having a lot of trouble in understanding how it all works, though. My JavaScript skills aren't that great, but usually good enough to get by. I'm really struggling with AJAX, though.

8. Mirage

AJAX is also good for saving bandwidth. I've noticed sites like eBay are using it now on their auctions to allow people to refresh the price without having to reload the entire page.

I also like to use flash for refreshing data. It's a bit nicer if you ask me, mostly because you can make flash much more exciting than a standard text area.

9. Mr_Snipes

Mr_Snipes Registered Member

I think that AJAX is great. I still have a lot to learn about it. I understand the javascript very well, but it is the XML that I haven't really had a chance to learn yet.