• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Airports to charge to Smoke

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
BBC News - Last cigarette... airport charges smokers for that last minute drag

A final cigarette before that flight? It comes with a price tag at Belfast International Airport.

Smoking is a real drag at the airport where smokers must pay £1 to smoke a cigarette in a designated area. It is thought to be the first airport in the UK to introduce such a charge.

Smokers are asked to put a coin into a machine which opens doors to a special smoking area.
In all honesty I am surprised no-one has done this before, I mean why not exploit people and take money from them for having a habbit that people are apposed to? When I first saw the headline I wondered if this was some kind of charge for being late but that is not the case. I have not been to an airport in some time so I do not know exactly how check in and what you can and can't do works but to me as a smoker I find this to be exploitative, why the need for a wire mesh cage? I really don't get this...

Impact

V.I.P.
So...is that just in the special smoking areas actually inside the airport...or can you not smoke at all even before you go into the terminal? I can see how they could possibly charge to go into those special inside smoking areas (wait, do they even have those in the UK) but actually outside the terminal building seems dumb

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I suddenly think of Zurich airport or Amsterdam where they have designated smoking lounge inside the airport. Zurich's was really the best so far I've seen, spacious and well ventilated. I'm not sure how to feel about charging smokers at this point unless it was a newly built smoking area - but if it's been there before, why charge them now? I would also be more inclined to agree with this if the measure was more an economic one (the way they charge people for using the toilets in some areas) than a PR thing against smoking. Tbh, this just makes people smoke more coz they'll end up chain smoking and squeezing the worth of their 1£ before they leave that area.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
There are airports with smoking rooms? That sounds magical.

Dekzper

Registered Member
It's exploitation and greed. I've never smoked but I do know about it being an addictive drug. If the airports want customers, they should provide them with free smoking areas.
One example: A woman I know has a costume jewelry shop. She decided to add another section to the shop for people who wanted to eat lunch while they were shopping. Now customers can buy sandwiches and tea or coffee.
Should she charge those people - who don't have time to eat somewhere else - for having to expand her shop? Should they only get to eat for a fee?

Anyway, if they want to add a new room to attract more customers, fine. But, imo, that does not give them the right to discriminate and charge the new customers.

Last edited:

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
There are airports with smoking rooms? That sounds magical.
In some European airports (we don't have in France). They're often well designed, attractively lit, centrally located and contemporary space ..especially for Swiss airports.

This one is in Geneva:

The one in Amsterdam is smaller and it's just like a room to smoke with no proper ventilation (but still better than not having a place to smoke). The one in Zurich is this:

Smoking lounges Smokers? lounges at Zurich Airport

They have 22 smokers' in that one airport. It was impressive when I saw them and they look just a bit fancier than the Geneva lounge I posted.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
In some European airports (we don't have in France). They're often well designed, attractively lit, centrally located and contemporary space ..especially for Swiss airports.

This one is in Geneva:

The one in Amsterdam is smaller and it's just like a room to smoke with no proper ventilation (but still better than not having a place to smoke). The one in Zurich is this:

Smoking lounges Smokers? lounges at Zurich Airport

They have 22 smokers' in that one airport. It was impressive when I saw them and they look just a bit fancier than the Geneva lounge I posted.
Blimey! Thank you for posting that ysabel! That looks much nicer than I had ever expected, it's nice to see that some places do actually think about how the organise and designate places such as this.

Starfire86

Registered Member
I've only been to one airport in the US that had a smoking area, and I'm pretty sure they removed it. I haven't seen one in years.

I don't agree with this policy. Why not charge people for going to the bathroom while we're at it?