• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Airline Passengers Charged by the Pound.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
In a first for the travel industry, Samoa Air has started charging its passengers by the pound.

Airline Charges Passengers by the Pound
This could be a good idea, not sure though, the more you weigh the more you pay. This airline is a small one is the reason they started this. If major carriers implemented this policy I would hope if a person weighted over a certain amount they would give them two seats so someone wouldn't be shoved up next to them.

What do you think about charging a person by their weight?

Wade8813

Registered Member
I'm not sure how I feel about it. A part of me feels that if someone is morbidly obese, maybe they should have to pay more. On the other hand, someone who's just really tall gets penalized as well in this system.

It seems to me though, that for most flights, if one airline is charging more (because the passenger weighs more, or whatever), they'll just book their flight with some other airline. Which this airline might be okay with, because they'll save fuel costs.

PS - I find it interesting that this was put out by Samoa air, because of the stereotype of Samoans being big people.

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
I've heard about this concept before and, like you two, I'm not sure how I feel about it. As Wade said, it's definitely not fair for a taller person to be charged a lot more than someone who is short. They can't help their vertical size. I can see that being slightly less of an issue with simply overweight people but for a very small minority they can't help it either. I think it's too complicated to separate these kinds of people who have less control over their heaviness.

Ok, I decided I don't agree with it.