• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Air Shows

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Is anyone here interested in air shows? My town just happens to hold the biggest air show in the Southern Hemisphere once every two years. So it's a pretty big deal because hardly anything interesting ever happens here.

I've gone maybe 6 or 7 times and I just went again yesterday (Saturday) for the day show, and Friday night for the night show (complete with lasers and fireworks).

Like many people who go to air shows I actually don't have much interest in planes or their pilots, but for me it's just the sound that I love. Watching an F/A 18 zoom overhead or four F16's in formation is just amazing. I'm sitting here now in my room in a house that it at least a 40 minute drive from the show and I can still hear them on the final days performance.

The sound is so amazing that you can hardly ever describe it. Once they fly over you can't just hear it, but you can feel it everywhere. You can feel it in your chest, your brain, everything. It just keeps getting louder and louder and I'm always surprised at just how loud it gets.

They also do a lot of MAJOR pyrotechnics. Including battlefield reenactments with large explosions that cause sonic booms and the famous 'Wall of Fire' pictured below.

Does anyone else have here love to go to air shows and feel the amazing power of these jets?

Below are just a couple of videos I found on youtube for the specific shows that I went to.

YouTube - Avalon Air Show 2011 - 5 Air Force Roulettes 05MAR11
YouTube - Excepts from Avalon Air Show 2011 05MAR11 2 Navy Helicopter Acrobatics
YouTube - Avalon Airshow 2011: F-16 USAF
YouTube - Avalon Air Show F/A-18 Super Hornet Ground Attack

Last edited:

shelgarr

Registered Member
Yeah, I've seen the Thunderbirds when my dad was AF and stationed in Utah. Out here in San Diego I've see the Blue Angels many times. In fact their route, both practicing and during the show circle right over our house. It's inspiring!!! I love the sound too.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
It's honestly one of my favourite sounds in the world, just so powerful. And since it's in small bursts and not constant then it's not as bad for the ears as some things. If I go to a concert or music festival I come home with my ears ringing, but after the air show they aren't ringing at all.

And Shelgarr I know what you mean about them practicing over your roof! For two weeks leading up to the shows they practice over my whole town and it's so awesome.

F16's are some of my favourite too! I also loved the F1-11 before they phased that one out.

shelgarr

Registered Member
yep! The rumble is exhilarating. Feels so dangerous but yet protective too. My father was around jets so much that he did lose a lot of hearing. He was very close to them though.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Oh yes, I imagine that people who actually work in the air force would suffer real damage to their hearing, but for most of us regular people who are only near them at air-shows once a year, or once every two years... whatever it may be then it's pretty safe which is cool.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
The Chicago Air and Water Show is probably one of the biggest air shows in the world. Supposedly there are over 2 million spectators there. I've never gone because it sucks getting around the city when there are huge crowds.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
According to Wikipedia they have water skiing and boat jumping. Chicago is right along the water, so I think most of the show takes place along the shore.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Cool, I've never been to a water show before, although there is a festival along there river here everywhere when I think some of that water skiing and stuff is held. Never really been into water sports myself.