AHL suspends Downie 20 games for striking official with stick

Turbo

Registered Member
AHL suspends Downie 20 games for striking official with stick

Steve Downie is in trouble again.
The AHL has suspended the Norfolk Admirals' forward 20 games for deliberately striking an official with his stick.
Late in the third period of the Admirals' game against the Hershey Bears on February 28, Downie slashed linesman Mike Hamilton before a face-off. Downie was given a game misconduct at the time, and the AHL announced Thursday he was being suspended.
21-year-old Downie has developed a reputation for aggressive behaviour in his young career.
In 2007, before he even played his first regular season NHL game, Downie was suspended 20 games for elbowing Ottawa Senator Dean McAmmond in the head in a pre-season tilt.
This is not the first time the pesky forward has been suspended by the AHL either, having sat out three games for hitting an opponent from behind earlier this season.
He has already served three games of the current suspension, and should be eligible to return on April 11.
Downie was drafted 29th overall by the Flyers in 2005.
In 29 NHL games with the Flyers and the Lightning this season, Downie has three goals and three assists.
I saw the video footage of this and it looked somewhat accidental. Even though the punishment is standard according the the rules, i think its a bit harsh for something that didn't look intentional.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I havent seen the video, so I cannot judge if it was accidental or not, but I think Downie a douche. Honestly the guy is a little punk, and he thinks he can whatever he wants on the ice. I really hope that some big guy beats the crap out of him on the ice, so he can learn a small lesson.

Turbo

Registered Member
i'm not trying to defend him, but i think 20-games is harsh for something that wasn't intentional. it might be a ruling that needs to be looked over and adjusted.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I personally don't think its harsh, but if it was a different player that doesn't have a past like Downie does then I dont believe he would of been suspended for this long. Downie as been a bum in the AHL and the NHL, he's been suspended in both leagues for doing stupid crap like this, so he has a bad reputation which is one of the reasons why his suspension is that long.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I see "Downie....." in a news article and I immedietely go to face palm. I mean I agree, the guy is a douche. Hes the kind of guy that paints a very bad image on not only the enforcers and grinders of the games, but hes the kind of guy that is such a douche he paints a bad image for all the NHL.

Just kinda flusters me that even as much of a pain as he is for such little return that he still keeps a job on the ice.

Turbo

Registered Member
I personally don't think its harsh, but if it was a different player that doesn't have a past like Downie does then I dont believe he would of been suspended for this long. Downie as been a bum in the AHL and the NHL, he's been suspended in both leagues for doing stupid crap like this, so he has a bad reputation which is one of the reasons why his suspension is that long.
here's the thing...the time had nothing to do with his reputation. hitting a ref with a stick, accidental or not, is minimum 20 games. isn't that a bit much for something that could possibly be an accident.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
here's the thing...the time had nothing to do with his reputation. hitting a ref with a stick, accidental or not, is minimum 20 games. isn't that a bit much for something that could possibly be an accident.
oh man I dont know, its obviously not that difficult to keep your sticks away from the officials. So it'd be hard to make a stake that hitting one was an accident.

Then I also have to add in the human element, I would say that the Officials know how heavy their punishments can be and so they'll in a sense self regulate. I cant think of to many officials off the top of my head who go into the game saying "I cant wait! I'm gonna dish out 60+ minutes of PIMs tonight!". So I'd imagine alot of the human element is going to come into play when they decide whether the stick contact was accidental or on purpose. Also I'm sure they put weight on who it is that commited the contact. If they get bumped by Martin St. Louis, they'll probably just ignore it, but if its Scott Parker.... they'd nail him to the cross.

Turbo

Registered Member
i totally agree with you icegoat. this is a rare incident for sure. and overall its in the eyes of each official, though i still say 20-games is nuts especially when intentional head shots get either a slap on the wrist or minimum game suspension.