Age of the Universe/Earth (and related topics): Resource Thread

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by FutureTrackStar, Aug 10, 2010.

1. FutureTrackStar

FutureTrackStar Registered Member

I got this idea about 5 minutes ago when posting in a different thread. Rather than a traditional, hardcore debate, I was hoping this thread could be used as a database for resources concerning the Age of the Universe/Earth.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010

2. Daemonic

Daemonic Registered Member

Is this only for discussion of religious views on the age of the earth and universe? I'm just a little confused since it is in the religion section. If it's a resource and not a serious debate wouldn't it be better in different section such as general discussion or other news/discussion? It just seems to me that posting it in the science or religion section is setting it up for debate about which views are right.

3. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

13.7 billion years old. But since this thread is in Religion I'm not sure that answer is going to cut it. :shifteyes:

What kind of resources are you looking for, exactly? 13.7 bil is the most widely accepted estimate I think.

edit:Oh, and I agree with Sonn. Philosophy might be nice neutral territory for this thread if it's not a debate you're after.

Unity and Bananas like this.
  4. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

5. FutureTrackStar

- It is in the religion section because it is intended to be a resource for the debate between young-earth creationists and old-earth creationists/evolutionists. Usually this debate is only found among those who believe the Bible is the Word of God.
    ------
    - Yes, I know. This thread is a place to dump evidence, resources, articles, discoveries, etc. etc. I'm sure you are familiar with the old-earth vs. young-earth debate. This thread is intended to be a database of resources and evidence for either side.
    ------
    The Institute for Creation Research

Resources for Scientists
    Evidence from Science

also, Answers in Genesis - Creation, Evolution, Christian Apologetics

6. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

It might be a better idea to expand the scope of this thread, to include similar, related topics. I have a feeling that since most people haven't studied this a whole lot, we won't get much on here - expanding the topics allows for more posting, and prevents the need of other threads.

(although obviously a lot of the same websites will cover the other topics too, since they're related).

Also, it would be good to have at least a short blurb about why you like that resource.

7. FutureTrackStar

- lol yea that's fine, w/e. I'm not gonna dictate the rules lol.

8. Ilus_Unistus

Ilus_Unistus Registered Member

WMAP- Age of the Universe

13.7 Billion with 1-2% inaccuracy.

I believe this to be true due to the process used to determine it,(see link) it to me just fits better than any other explanation.

9. Gavik

Gavik Registered Member

All of the creationist links posted here are either misinterpretation or gross over simplifications.

10. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

MiT, did you honestly just like to Eric Hovind's site? Really? I mean, these people honestly believe that fossils were created by thousands of organisms coincidentally forming intricate shapes that resemble bones and creatures after the "great flood" and "rapidly fossilizing". I guess to each his own . . . but sheesh if you want to talk about theories that are really hard to swallow, I think the Hovinds do a pretty good job of that. I mean, that and his father Kent is currently in prison for a bevy of tax crimes. Nothing like an honest, responsible man, right?