Age of the Earth

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
How many of you actually feel that the Earth is only several thousand years old?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I thought we already had a topic about this. The scientific evidence is so overwhelming, even most Christians accept the fact that the Earth is billions of years old.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Technically there is no "fact" as to how old the earth is and there is no way to prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt either way. This is just another one of those arguments that is somewhat pointless to debate.

That being said, just for the record I highly highly doubt that the earth is billions of years old. Seeing as there is no way to prove the earth's age beyond estimations, I'd settle for agreeing that the human race is only a few thousands of years old.

Bunny_roses

what? no pink?
I as well do not think that the earth is billions of years old.

It's funny, I was just going through some books at school about dinosaurs, although I do believe that God created them, I just don't believe it was millions of years ago. I took the books that stated they were millions of years old out of the reading program. I'm sure alot of people did not know they were there. It's not something that our kids should be reading if that is not what we are teaching. After all it is a Christian school : )

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Technically there is no "fact" as to how old the earth is and there is no way to prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt either way. This is just another one of those arguments that is somewhat pointless to debate.
Of course the best we can do is estimate, so we'll never know the exact age, but it's a "fact" that the Earth is more than just a few thousand years old. There's endless proof that the Earth is hundreds of millions, if not several billion, years old. Unfortunately, some people choose to ignore all of it in favor of a certain religious book which vaguely says the Earth is 6,000 years old despite there being no proof whatsoever.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Of course the best we can do is estimate, so we'll never know the exact age, but it's a "fact" that the Earth is more than just a few thousand years old. There's endless proof that the Earth is hundreds of millions, if not several billion, years old. Unfortunately, some people choose to ignore all of it in favor of a certain religious book which vaguely says the Earth is 6,000 years old despite there being no proof whatsoever.
you fail to realize that creation is a scientific theory with methods and discoveries. It is lead by brilliant people. There is a creation scientific journal. In ID, the Bible is the starting point, not the science book. I understand you would rather think of ID as a 2 sentence belief, but that is not true.

Creation scientist are the ones that want ID and evolution thought side by side and evolutionist are the ones that demand 1 theory be thought. Evolutionist are the ones that with closed minds.

But, whatever...elevate your theory to Scientific Law if you wish.

Ok Im a bit confused. Are we discussing the age of humanity, the age of the earth as we know it, or how long ago the earth was formed into a clump of rock? >.<
Just want to clarify before sharing my views...

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I think the thread title says it all. How old is the Earth? How long ago was it formed into a clump of rock?