Age gap relationships ?

Discussion in 'Dating & Relationships' started by Feebs, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Feebs

Feebs Registered Member

So what do you think is acceptable and how many years difference would you go ...and do you find it more acceptable for a man to be older than the woman or the woman to be older than the man ?

2. Nibbles

Nibbles meep

It depends on the person though I'd say age shouldn't be boundry when two people are truely in love.

For me ten years.

3. DinoFlintstone

DinoFlintstone "There can be only one!"

I also think that 'in love' age should not be an obstacle, a 10 year gap between a 16 and 26 year old can be a bit of an eyebrow raiser, and even a 17 - 27 year old.

My Dad was 12 years older than my Mum which I [think] I thought was unusual, but looking into it, I see years ago [in their time] it seemed like quite a common age-gap.
    There was in interesting article not that long ago on the BBC:

BBC NEWS | Health | 'Younger wife' for marital bliss

4. Feebs

Feebs Registered Member

but do you see it as different for the man to be alot younger..does it feel different as i know people who really frown on it x

5. Sim

Sim Registered Member

I once heard about a formula to calculate the acceptable age difference, adjusted for the problem that the older you are, the wider the age difference may be:

You take the age of the older partner, divide it through 2, then add 7 -- then you got the acceptable minimum age for his or her partner. (It's for couples of 14 years upwards.)

So for example, when a guy is 30, you calculate 30 : 2 = 15; 15 + 7 = 22 ... so 22 years is the minimum age for his partner.

Whatever you may think about this rule, it pretty much matches my gut feeling.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  6. Feebs

Feebs Registered Member

so with that calculation i should stick with guys of around 24 - 25...well sounds ok x

7. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I don't see any problems as long as both people are legal and consenting. Go ahead and have a 40 year age gap, as long as it's real.

8. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

For me age is just a number unless one of the people is underage.

9. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

[generally] i think there should be at least a 4 years difference between boy/girl.
    i'm attracted to older guys.
    but if 2 people really love each other, age is not a first-hand problem.

10. FindMuck

FindMuck Registered Member

dunno. I've only dated people within a two year gap. I don't know why people obsess over this question all the time...if you aren't sure about it, why do you think asking a bunch of random people who also don't have the answer will help? Listen to your heart, or your brain...but listen to yourself, only you know what's right for you.