• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Age difference determines divorce rate.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Even a five-year age difference makes a couple 18 percent more likely to get divorced, compared to a couple born on or around the same year.

For a Lasting Marriage, Try Marrying Someone Your Own Age - The Atlantic
I can believe this but I doubt it is always true especially when you are talking about 5 or 10 years age difference. I just don't see 5 or 10 years a big deal.

Now when you get into a much larger age difference I doubt you would have that much in common. I would wonder if the younger person is actually attracted to the older one.

Thoughts?

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
It's not just the difference in age that matters, but also the specific ages of the people in the relationship. A 5 year gap to 40+ folks isn't that significant, but to a couple in their 20's is huge in terms of common ground and emotional experience and maturity (individual results may vary, but generally speaking). 5 years to someone who is 55 represents 9% of their total life experience, but to someone 25 years old it's 20% of their life, and therefore contrasts within that time frame between one persons experiences and another's are more glaring. There's an age difference between myself and the person I've been most recently involved with, but while we have very different lifestyles and personalities, we've both experienced the same world unfolding for decades and can relate on that level. To someone my age, a 25 year old is practically still a kid. Funny as it is, to a 25 year old, a 20 year old is practically just a kid. :) It's all relative.

- Chameleon

P.S. Hey, I just got Scuba Diver award... Hooray!
Still waiting on my lifetime supply of Dr. Pepper though, what's up with that?

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have to agree with that. It according to how old you are how much the difference in age really matters unless you are talking about 20 years or more. That much age difference is too much at any age. You are in an entirely different generation and probably won't have much in common.

I read a post by an older guy a few years ago that said he is only attracted to young women in their 20's and doesn't find women his own age attractive, think he said he was about 50, been awhile. I thought that's funny, you don't find women your age attractive but yet you expect someone much younger than yourself to find you attractive. How does that work.

Even Hugh Hefner's money couldn't keep his much younger wives from cheating on him.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
I very much doubt that Hugh or any of his wives spent much if any time crying in their pillows. Hugh got to get with some of the most attractive women on the planet, and they got the notoriety, big bucks, nice presents, and lifestyle of a queen. What many older men seem to not realize is that they are NOT The Heff. :D Rich old pervs and young gold-diggers naturally go together. But if you want to talk about real romance, then there are far different requirements. The older two people are, the less age difference between them will matter, but within reason. I reckon two 60+ers getting together could have as much as a 15 year age gap between them and it could work, but if that much gap existed with a couple where one just turned 18, it would be a whole different matter.

- Cham

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
A 18 year old is going to get tired of someone much older than themselves pretty fast. Not saying it never works but most likely it won't. The younger of the two is more than likely going to want to be with someone around their own age eventually.

Sometimes there is something wrong with the younger of the two mentally and that is why they go after the older people. People their own age don't want them.

Knew a guy dating a much younger woman and he woke up in the middle of the night with a knife at his throat.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
I dated a much younger girl once (I usually prefer older women). She was really sweet, and really smart, but also really neurotic and quirky (kinda of at the border of cute and annoying). Over time though, I started to feel more protective and paternal toward her because her sweet innocent nature brought that out in me.

- Cham

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I know a guy, 74, married to a woman of 29 .... Sorry but it's not right.
I really don't understand why anyone would want to be with someone that much older than them. He could be her grandfather. You really have to wonder about their mental state. Maybe he is well off and she hopes he has one foot in the grave.:lol: