After 7 years we are finally....

....moving out of Iraq.

KHABARI CROSSING, Kuwait – A line of heavily armored [COLOR=#366388 !important][COLOR=#366388 !important]American [COLOR=#366388 !important]military [/COLOR][COLOR=#366388 !important]vehicles[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR], their headlights twinkling in the pre-dawn desert, lumbered past the barbed wire and metal gates marking the border between Iraq and Kuwait early Thursday and rolled into history.

For the troops of the 4th Stryker Brigade, [COLOR=#366388 !important][COLOR=#366388 !important]2nd [COLOR=#366388 !important]Infantry [/COLOR][COLOR=#366388 !important]Division[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR], it was a moment of relief fraught with symbolism but lightened by the whoops and cheers of soldiers one step closer to going home. Seven years and five months after the U.S.-led invasion, the last American combat brigade was leaving Iraq, well ahead of President Barack Obama's Aug. 31 deadline for ending U.S. [COLOR=#366388 !important][COLOR=#366388 !important]combat [COLOR=#366388 !important]operations[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] there.

Goodbye Iraq: Last US combat brigade heads home - Yahoo! News
I didn't even believe we were gone from Iraq until I saw the "last US bridage leaving Iraq" on MSNBC last night. So we're finally gone.

Gavik

Registered Member
.I didn't even believe we were gone from Iraq until I saw the "last US bridage leaving Iraq" on MSNBC last night. So we're finally gone.
Hardly. That's only combat troops. 50,000 advisory (which could mean anything from desk jobs to black ops missions) troops will remain until at least 2011. Not to mention hundreds of thousands of "defense contractors" (Mercenaries) and US government money going to pay off militias so they won't fight.

Ilus_Unistus

Registered Member
Gavik is correct, there is still 6,000 Estonian troops in Iraq and I am sure other countries as well. Must be election times for the USA? lol

Hiei

The Hierophant
Hardly. That's only combat troops. 50,000 advisory (which could mean anything from desk jobs to black ops missions) troops will remain until at least 2011. Not to mention hundreds of thousands of "defense contractors" (Mercenaries) and US government money going to pay off militias so they won't fight.

This.

========

In my opinion, I'd say that we're actually worse off now, having all of our combat forces out of there, cause we still have 50,000 troops over there doing random jobs. Just because our combat forces are finally gone, that doesn't mean, by any stretch of the means, that we're actually out of Iraq.

Wade8813

Registered Member
Yeah, I just read something recently about Obama sending over more civilian contractors to take the place of soldiers.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
All I can really think about all of this is "at least we're making some kind of progress." We're probably going to have a military presence in Iraq like we have bases in Germany or South Korea.