Advice please.

Discussion in 'Art & Creative' started by wolfheart, Oct 7, 2008.

1. wolfheart

wolfheart Registered Member

Hi everyone

Im looking for advice on a new art style,i have only ever done sketching or fine line work in black and white,i dont think i have ever done colour drawings.
    A friend of the family has given me a set of water colour paints,and has asked if i would like some oils as well,this is where i am having problems.

I have no idea how to use either of these paints,so im wondering if it is worth trying to get grips with them,or stick to what i know.
    To be honest i dont even know if have an eye for colour,are there any basic rules i should no,and are these mediums worth learning?.
    Any advice would be helpfull,if i cant use them im thinking of donating them to a local hospice.

2. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

The way I see it, you might be really good at sketching, but maybe you'd truly shine at painting. Why not give it a try?
    You already seem to have the basics as far as light and shadow figured out (from what I've seen of your art) it's not much different than that. As far as color, it's personal choice. Do what feels right, not what you think others would like to see.
    I love trying new mediums and I'm surprised someone with your talent would even question whether or not to do the same.

3. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Meh, I always sucked with water color. Not something I picked up personally. I enjoyed oil pastels way more than I did water color. I felt they were easier to work with and blend. A very good medium, one of my favorites.

If you're such a fan of the black and whites, have you ever tried art using Black paper and white pencil? Its a really fun technique, alot easier than it looks and to be honest I've yet to do one that didnt come out better than I'd expected. I know I love tossing this drawing I did around alot so I'll spoil it this time to spare those who have seen it a million times.
    [​IMG]

the whole goal of that technique is to simply draw the lighting rather than the shadows. A sorta reverse technique from what most art classes teach. I loved it and that is without a doubt my favorite. Try it with black paper and whites & grey oil pastels. You'll have a blast.

4. wolfheart

I just dont have much confidence in trying these,truth is i dont have much confidence in my sketching either,thats why i think im more a doodler than artist.
    I have only tried this a couple of times,but may give it another go soon.

5. Oooh_snap

Oooh_snap Living on the 0th floor V.I.P. Lifetime

Go for it!!! Like Angels said, you have a lot of talent with your sketches, so you may truely shine with painting. I would love to see what you could do incorporating color into your work. I have seen your work and I think you should have a lot more confidence in what you do it is really wonderful work!

6. wolfheart

Since i made this thread i have worked on a couple of colour paintings,but niether have turned out the way i thought they would!.
    When i get one the way i think it should look i will try to post it

7. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

Or, you could post what you've done if you're up for critical advice.:)

8. wolfheart

When i get my camera fixed i will try to post them,critical advice would be a great help.Just got to wait for my camera to come back from the manufactures.:mad:
    So far i have done a small landscape,and a koi carp but i still aint got the colours right.
    As soon as i can post them i would really like to hear what you think of Angels.:nod:

9. Oooh_snap

Oooh_snap Living on the 0th floor V.I.P. Lifetime

I want to see!!!!!!!!!!! I won't be able to offer any critiques, as I am no artist myself. I am just amazed by any one who can make wonderful art, and I already know you can so I hope you post them soon =)

10. wolfheart

I have been informed by a letter i got yesterday that ill have to wait at least another 2 weeks to get my camera back.
    Once i have it i will put a couple more pics up!.