• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Admitting you like wrestling

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Are you someone that is afraid to admit to someone else that you're a wrestling fan?

Personally, I don't really care. All my friends know that I enjoy watching it, and the recent people that I've met, I've told them within a few weeks that I enjoyed watching wrestling.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with watching it(some people do) hence why I don't care admitting it.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Why would someone be afraid to admit they like wrestling? Its not like its illegal.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I guess afraid wasn't the right word, more embarrassed to admit that they like to watch it. Wrestling get a bad rep from non-fans, and a lot of them don't want to get laughed at if they admit they enjoy watching it.

For me, it's a form of entertainment, like watching a movie or a television show.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't like wrestling but I wouldn't condemn someone else for watching it. There is questions of if its real or fake but like you said its a form of entertainment and not everyone finds the same thing entertaining. I like to watch horse racing but not everyone does and wouldn't appreciate someone laughing at me because I like it. Each to their own as long as its legal.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
A guilty pleasure... I've described pro-wrestling as being a soap opera for guys. This was less true when I used to watch as a kid. While there was more pagentry and flair, which I enjoyed, there was also more emphasis on actual wrestling and less on theatrics. Let's face it, by in large, wrestlers can't act. I was always impressed seeing the different styles of wrestling pitted against each other such as martial arts, lucha libre, technicall, and brawling. I was always impressed with how these muscle-bound brutes, like Ultimate Warrior, could fling themselves around the ring like they weighed nothing. The sheer athleticism was really something, to say nothing of the choriography.

For a long time now there's been much more emphasis on the "story" and less on the action. I see wrestlers step into the ring now and talk... and talk... and insult the audience... and talk... and talk some more, then it'd be time for a commercial break, more talk, and finally a short match (usually involving interference). For an old school wrestling fan like myself, this sort of thing is just plain boring. Sometimes painfully so. I'm glad to see the Hardy's back together in NXT, but don't have that channel anymore. I saw the last Wrestlemania (or was it the one before that?) and thought it kicked serious a$$. They know how to appeal to the nostalgic types like myself when they want to, but the rest of the time it's just so much hot air in the ring. And I also don't like the change in the underlying message of wrestling. It used to be the classic tale of good vs. evil with each side taking it's eventual turn at the top. Now it's pretty much let the most ruthless competitor win and bring back the good guys of yesterday only to humiliate them. It's just not the same wrestling I used to enjoy so much when I was growing up. I haven't watched wrestling in quite a spell now so maybe it's changed again, but given the direction it was going when I last tuned in, I imagine not for the better.

- Cham

Rapier

V.I.P.
Some of the new wave look like they were recruited at the local cardboard box retreat. Not my cup of tea.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Some of the new wave look like they were recruited at the local cardboard box retreat. Not my cup of tea.
What's your cup of tea?

I think the new wave of wrestlers are tremendously talented. You have guys like Cesaro, Owens, Rollins, Ambrose, Zayn, Bryan, ect. Those guys can put on five-star matches on a night to night basis. I think that's a good problem to have.

Konshentz

Konshentz
Back in the day I was never afraid/embarrassed to admit that I was a fan. Like you said, it's just a form of entertainment. Who cares? And now, even after I've outgrown it, I would never look down on someone that still enjoys it.

Rapier

V.I.P.
Showmanship. Pageantry. Sans street clothes like some freaking bum off the street.

I don't like the a guy(s) administering a 10 minute beat down that isn't part of the official card. I saw a 4man tag team match on a youtube video where Cena's team let the other team break rule after rule, (2 or 3 on one)without interceding for their teammate.
Other bad guy beatdowns take place and the cavalry never shows up.