• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Addressing people by their name

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Are you the kind of person who likes to address people by their name or do you just say hey when you see someone?

At work for example if I'm walking down the hall and someone says, "Hey, Kevin how's it going?" For some reason I like that better then just a hello or a hey or a hi. I remember my first day at work here the Senior Vice President came up to me in the break room and said hey Kevin, glad to have you here. The fact he knew my name and addressed me by my name had a positive affect on me for some reason. I can't explain it and maybe it's just me.

I find myself saying Hi Kim or Hi Ryan just for the hell of it even though I see those people everyday.

So am I nuts? Am I the only person who likes this haha

Impact

V.I.P.
I find it funny that you used the names Kim and Ryan in your choices there, as I have a friend called Kim Ryan. Anyway...

I think in a work setting, I address people by names as it seems more professional, especially clients as showing you can remember their names shows you give a crap, you know? In other situations, I think I just say Hey. Especially if I bump into someone on the street and can't remember their name.

Then you have the extreme, where people say names to often. "Hey Lauren. How are you today, Lauren? Did you have a good weekend Lauren? Well anyway, good to see you Lauren" That drives me nuts.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I like to address people by their names, I think it makes people feel good. The only time I don't do it is when I'm not sure I remember their name.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I address people by their names, and higher people at my job by saying Mr.-Ms. so and so. I think it's just a sign of respect.

When it comes to my friends, I always call them by nickname of first name. I'm like you Millz, I don't like calling people by "hey you" or just "hey" in general. It doesn't sit right with me for some strange reason.

Dabs

Registered Member
I address most everyone by their name unless it's other teachers, then it's Mrs. or Mr. So&So.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Depends on how well I know the person. With my good friends I usually just say "Hey man" or something like that. With people I don't know as well or in a more formal setting I'll try to address them by their name.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
With my friends or people I know well I address them by their name. When I say "Hi Ben" it feels too close and personal with that person. It sounds less formal.
While with people I don't know well/at work I just say "Hello, how are you ? "
It sounds more formal to me.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
It depends. Casually I think I just say hi or if it's a close friend of mine that I'm very glad to see or haven't seen for a long time then I could be saying "Keeeeeviiiiiin!" :lol:

When talking to someone I do sometimes say the name especially when I want to stress something or get the attention of the person. The problem is sometimes I see people and I forget their names (temporary mental block), haha.

Bliss

Sally Twit
I usually say 'You alright?' as it just comes out naturally. I very rarely use the person's name in the greeting to be honest. It doesn't make me rude or anything. I just go with whatever comes out.

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
I don't use people's names half as often as I should, because I like it when others use mine.

There are some people I will address using their name all the time though. I do it with my housemate Kelly, for example, for no apparent reason. It just feels more natural to say her name when greeting her in comparison to some others. Though, I really have no idea what I mean by that LOL. And I'm not sure if it's because of the name itself, or the individual behind it...