• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Adding a 2nd Wild Card per league

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
This is getting attention and could happen as early as 2012 according to Bud Selig.

I guess what they would do is add a 2nd wild card team so 5 teams per league make the playoffs. The two wild card teams would have a one game playoff and the winner advances through. So this year St Louis and Atlanta would have faced off in NL, for example.

Are you in favor of doing this?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Some of you may know, I'm an old-school Baseball fan and I don't like changes. As a Blue Jays fan I would love to get another Wild Card in each league, but has a Baseball fan and the history of the game I don't want to see it happen. I hate that Bud wants to change the game so much. Baseball playoffs in the most exciting playoffs out of all sports(in my opinion). Only four teams in each league make it. Just look at the races to the playoffs we've had in recent memory. Adding two teams to the playoffs would eliminate some of those races.

I'm against the idea.

Last edited:

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Or it might add excitement to those races if more teams have a chance to make the playoffs towards the end of the season.

Obviously this is about money though. The more teams that are in the race at the end of the year, the more the fans are interested and the more fans are paying to come and watch their team play.

Personally I'm not against it but I'm not that excited by it either. I understand the thought process though. Hell, people shit on Bud Selig for the Wild Card idea and it ended up being one of the better decisions any Commissioner has ever made.

BigBob

Registered Member
I'd like it but then again, I wouldn't like it. Of course it's only one game, but I think it would take the fun out of the Yankees, Red Sox and Rays battling every year to see which two will go to the playoffs because in this cause, all three of them would most likely be considered "playoff" teams and I just don't like that.