Addicted to the Internet? Don't let your parents find out...

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by viLky, Aug 7, 2009.

1. viLky

viLky ykLiv

Source: Rehab death of China Internet addict concerns

In short: kid got sent to camp, got beaten and died. Internet addiction has become the biggest youth problem in China. China has 338+ million Internet users.

I wonder if I would have any violent outburst if the Internet was taken away from me... Hmm... Maybe it's better not to find out. ^_^

2. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

Are they all playing WoW?

That story is horrible :-|

3. Nixola

Nixola Boom Boom Pow!

This is a pretty horrible story.

Since the kid was there to cure his addiction they should be firm but fair. Sounds like they went way too far.

4. Xeilo

Xeilo Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

That is just crazy, but I can see it happening. You see some videos here and there that get posted were there are kids screaming and crying because of something to do with the internet.

5. wooly

wooly I am the woolrus

I find it quite a coincidence though that there seems to be a particularly ridiculous amount of people diagnosed with "internet addiction" (1 out of 10 teenage internet user...?) in a country that tries to block everything on the internet that it doesn't agree with.

The chinese government sees the internet as a huge problem. They block sites related to freedom of speech, democracy, Tibet, Taiwan, Tianenmen Square.... The list goes on. So i don't think that they're taking these people away because they're worried about their well being and think they're spending too much time on the internet. I'd say it's more related to how they've been influenced by the internet. I mean as we can see, this a problem that somebody at a 'rehab clinic' thought it was worth beating someone to death for.

6. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

It's just stupid to beat someone to death, much less beat them up because they are or aren't addicted to the internet, that's just ridiculous and one can hope that'll be the last case ever.