Added pressure?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I was curious to know if you believe the athletes have extra pressure on themselves if their competing at home. For example do you believe the Canadians have extra pressure on them this year since the Olympics are in Canada?

Or do you believe everyone has pressure on themselves since their representing their contry and fighting to win a gold medal.

Thoughts?

Unity

#WOKEN
Staff member
Yeah I think that's the case with the Olympics. The atheletes ALWAYS want to represent their home, but when it's on their own soil a certain amount of pride and honor is on the line.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I think there is some added pressure for sure. Nobody wants to let their country down on their home turf. And for some athletes the pressure is too much for them. But most of the time competing at home is a big advantage. Not only having the crowd support, but the extra motivation to do well. Home countries in the Olympics generally have more success than they do on foreign soil.

Unity

#WOKEN
Staff member
I'd like to add to what I said before that years after the event, most people will think of certain individuals as Gold Medalists, not thinking/caring where they won those medals.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
I say yes and no. Like Echoes mentioned the home crowd support is definitely a huge advantage for the athelete but it could also make them more nervous. I wouldn't like to lose on my home turf...especially being a favorite for a medal.

But I guarantee you if the men's canadian hockey team is down two nothing in a game the pressure on them will be so huge that they'll look like average hockey players compared to the superstars they really are. I just hope it doesn't happen :).