• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Add RAID controller to a motherboard

mosquito_root

Hello all !

I have a server with Intel S5000PSL motherboard and 6 hard drives like this:
a. 3 units 1 TB
b. 2 units 500 GB
c. 1 unit 80 GB

There is a Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise OS and I want to create 2 RAID massives (1 and 5 levels) from BIOS, but the motherboard do not support this. The technical reference of motherboard indicates that the motherboard support 0/1/10 levels RAID and 5 level RAID with a licence. But from BIOS I can not create any RAID, I can't see there any BIOS options to do this.
So can I add any RAID controller to this motherboard ? If yes, will I have the possibility after that to create RAID from BIOS, if I will take updates for BIOS ?

Please give me idea to create RAID in this situation ! :confused:

Thanks in advance !

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
You can add a RAID controller, which is a separate card that you install on a free PCI slot. The motherboard not supporting raid onboard means SATA drives can't be setup on a RAID through the motherboard because there is no RAID controller onboard.

Reading the specifications of the MB it doesn't support RAID - again this means that natively the motherboard doesn't have an onboard controller for RAID. What this means is you can however install a RAID controller on a free PCI slot. Then you would be plugging the drives into that controller which would do the RAID 'footwork'

dDave

V.I.P.
You can add a RAID controller, which is a separate card that you install on a free PCI slot. The motherboard not supporting raid onboard means SATA drives can't be setup on a RAID through the motherboard because there is no RAID controller onboard.

Reading the specifications of the MB it doesn't support RAID - again this means that natively the motherboard doesn't have an onboard controller for RAID. What this means is you can however install a RAID controller on a free PCI slot. Then you would be plugging the drives into that controller which would do the RAID 'footwork'
Wow, wouldn't expect that from you Echoes, nice one.

Keep in mind that even if you add a raid card you won't be able to access it from the bios and set up a raid you would likely have to configure it from within your operating system.

I think that a PCI interface would be too slow though, I would try and get it for a PCI-express interface if at all possible.

If I were you I would run RAID 1 and forget about 5, it would be much simpler and after reading up on RAID 5 it doesn't appear to be very reliable either if one of the disks were to fail you would lose everything, with 3 disks that's a lot of potential for problems especially considering that they probably aren't new.