• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

ADD meds and driving

Daemonic

Registered Member
Alright, so as many of you know I have some psychological problems and this is one of them. I don't take meds for it because I hate ADD meds and think they can cause more problems than good in many cases. I also am not in school so see no point. I do know there are some though that can be taken as needed. I started driving again within the past a little over 6 months ago and do it rarely. I don't even have 2k miles on my car....

I'm questioning if I should talk to my psych doc about a med that can be taken as needed. I know some throw out that label randomly but I do have it. I do know I have to be extra careful but in the 6 months I have been driving I had a couple incidents that freaked me out as a result of my ADD. Like not being able to focus and almost running through red lights in 4 way intersections a couple times. I always did catch myself but it freaked me out when I noticed for a few moments I may have not even seen a red light. Should I talk to my doctor about maybe taking a short acting med while driving until I have been doing it for a while again and can maintain focus? I mean between my anxiety problems and the ADD driving can be a clusterfuck for me. It's not that I can't drive responsibly but sometimes the ADD and anxiety together have a negative impact on my focus.

So I want opinions, is it better to just keep being careful and aware of my problems for safety or should I see about throwing a short acting med in the mix for a while even though I'm not a fan of it?

Last edited:

Dabs

Registered Member
Some people are so against medications....saying they only fuck you up worse.
But in my opinion, some of those medications can help a person live a better life, if taken the right way.
I also believe tho, that some doctors are prescription happy and will write out a medical prescription faster than water running from a faucet.
I would say if driving is something you like to do and want to continue doing it more often, than I see no reason why you can't discuss it with your doctor and see about some meds that might help with your situation for a bit....good luck to you~

Etherea

Registered Member
You need to be taking some kind of meds if you want to drive! You've had a couple of incidents that freaked you out, but fuck sake man someone could have been killed! I'm not sure that there are short acting attention deficit drugs -they tend to be part of an ongoing process. I think you're going to have to weigh up whether you want to drive more than you want to be med free. Good luck! stay safe!

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
ADD/ADHD meds are short-acting. But if you have a psychiatrist I would definitely talk to him/her about your driving issues because that sounds pretty extreme and dangerous to me.

Daemonic

Registered Member
Yeah, I was hesitant to ask him because I think they contributed to some of the problems I do have when I took them at a younger age. My parents were big med pushers and I'm also one of those people that have negative reactions to many medications.

I mean, I was hesitant to ask because over time in most cases I've learned to handle it on my own without meds. The thing is that still being new to driving again I have run into a couple difficult situations. I don't think it's something I would need to be on for good but at least a short acting med until I get completely adjusted to driving again. For the most part I'm good about being aware of things that "could happen" but I think the ADD sometimes keeps me from focusing on specific task. For example, a deer jumped in front of my car a last month at night when I was going 55mph on the highway. I handled the situation perfectly and dodged it in the side lane. So it's not like I'm a complete maniac on the roads but sometimes I think my ADD and anxiety together cause an issue as mentioned before when I talked about the lights.

There are a lot of negatives I'm aware of with ADD drugs for me that's why I want a short acting if I do it. I only drive a couple times a week and sometimes not even that much. There are quite a few occasions the car sits for a week or more. I only use it to get to appointments and buy groceries. The only reason I even bought a car after not driving for so long is because I moved to a place where I need it to get to certain places.

I mean the light thing only happened twice in the 6 months. So I didn't fully realize how it was impacting me until the last incident. Anyway, thanks everyone.

This was probably a no brainier question in the first place. It's better to temporarily take a med even if it could harm me in some way in the long run than risk the life of myself or others.

I also believe tho, that some doctors are prescription happy and will write out a medical prescription faster than water running from a faucet.
Mine is not, I went through quite a few doctors before I found one the I agreed with when it comes to meds. He said said to me straight forward he would not push new meds but talk about them with me if I felt therapy alone was not helping and the long term goal is to not need them at all. So he is by no means a pill pusher, while I may have some issues I am by no means low functioning and had no problem speaking my mind to a couple of the doctors I checked out before him. In fact, one of the guys I saw before him spoke to me like a I was an idiot and judged my character based on my appearance to my face the moment I walked in his office. I told him he was arrogant and presumptuous on our first visit. He responded that he had credentials, and I said to him that is unfortunately the only thing he has going for him, then walked out. So yea, I don't like pill pushers or doctors that have superiority issues.

Last edited:

MAgnum9987

Do What Thou Wilt
As long as you don't snort them, you should be good. lol

I took Ritalin as a kid, and that shit really messed me up without even realizing it. I was anti social, not eating, really bad. Its one of the things I consider life changing, for me.

So I am against ADD/ADHD drugs, so I wouldn't suggest using them for anything. But if you would like, talk to your psychologist.