Adapting your partners interests?

Discussion in 'Dating & Relationships' started by Millz, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

Have you ever done this before? Maybe they like something that you don't or never thought anything about and then all of a sudden you're interested in the same thing.

It could be anything from sports to poetry to writing to art to video games etc etc.

I know I've done this before. Maybe I was just doing it to impress them, I don't know. Typically I'm one of those people who won't crap on something just because I've never been interested in it before. I've probably just never given it a chance. Thoughts?

2. storm_ina_C_cup

storm_ina_C_cup Registered Member

Luckily, my husband and I have ALOT of the same interests. . .apart from his love of computers, gadgets, console games, some of our choices in books we read, etc.

I've been in past relationships where we had different interests but I can't say they ever got in the way of us enjoying the things we did have in common or the things we didn't have in common.

I suggest you just make sure you make time for each other and for yourself to do what you both enjoy.

3. Millz

Its weird but most of the people I've dated have had differernt interests then me. Opposites attract kinda thing I guess.

I'm pretty sure it's been that way almost every single time, for whatever reason, I don't know. Usually ends up being weird things we have in common. I dated a girl that I swear ate exactly the same foods as me.

I don't know, I'm beginning to think that I gravitate to people I DON'T have things in common with because I like learning new things.

4. RJ-Cool

RJ-Cool "Expect the unexpected"

Well, this is something I continue to do. For example, she likes to watch Lifetime Movie Network and likes it when I'm there just to share all the emotional bliss or grief/pain. So, I adapt at times to accommodate her desire (sometimes the movies are actually OK/good). She does the same for me when it comes to watching Pro Wrestling. It's all about compromise at times to promote a healthy and loving co-existence.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  5. storm_ina_C_cup

storm_ina_C_cup Registered Member

We're the total opposite as far as our personalities go; for instance: he's quite shy, quiet, nerdy / geeky and I'm outgoing, talkative and not so nerdy / geeky. :laugh:

6. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I think that when you care about a person it's natural to be open-minded and show interest in their interests, whether it be TV shows that they watch, hobbies, or even beliefs. I think opposites do attract, but it's hard to make a relationship work if neither person shows any interest in what the other likes to do.

EllyDicious likes this.
  7. Millz

Sometimes that's for the best too! Too many outgoing people in the same room could get quite interesting ;) It's good to have a nice balance.

My personality has actually changed since high school in that regard. Back then I was a really quiet kid because that's what I was more comfortable being. College opened me up a little bit more and then finally my job broke me out for good. I've learned to be outgoing when its needed but still be extremely laid back. I like my alone time...always will. I really don't have a choice but to be outgoing around here...wears me the hell out haha.

8. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

I couldn't agree more and can't add anything else.

I think for me it depends on what interests my partner has and how much compatible they are with mines...and if these interests are a way of living or life determining for any of us.

9. Juan_Pablo

Juan_Pablo Registered Member

Despite research showing that couples whom share the same interest have a better chance of lasting than opposites, I get along very well with my girl, and we do it without sucking up to each others views or interest. She did however get me interested in enjoying her Spanish soap operas :sick::sick::sick::sick::sick:

10. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

There's no problem in being open minded. There's a problem when you try and change you for their sake.