• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Adaptable robots that learn

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
"Having the kind of intelligent robots you see in the movies is much closer than people realise. Our algorithm should in principle work on any kind of robot no matter how complex it is," he told BBC News.
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-32884768

I don't know if I should be happy about this or cry. Some of the robots I've seen in movies were wanting to take over the world. If these can learn to operate even if damaged there is no limit to what they can do.

I guess soon we will be relying on robots to fight our wars. Even damaged they can still find their victim. People won't be needed for much in the future.

Thoughts?

Stego

Registered Member
My first thought is Terminator, but my second thought is more hopeful.

One of my earliest memories is watching "The Day The Earth Stood Still," and seeing Klaatu--played by Michael Rennie--in cool composure and enlightenment flanked by his helper robot Gort. The robot, Gort, was basically a police figure meant to keep the peace. They had programmed them to be guardians, almost like mechanical angels. I can see how the advantage of a robot that learns will be best suited to fixing its own breakdown on deployment to Mars trips, but I can also see how that hopeful feeling exists in developing police robots with non-lethal force.

There is an inherent worry of losing our humanity but...what humanity have we today, really? The other curiosity is in the algorithm. Algorithms are life, and I think a machine that becomes as complex and intricate as a simple creature is alive.

Hope, excitement, and worry do tend to all go together.

Edit: I would find it hilarious if robots became more human, invariably deciding to drive Hummers and talk about Florence And The Machine outside coffee shops at obnoxiously loud levels. I mean, it's possible they wouldn't want to take over the world but perhaps just decide to be d-bags and lazy. I feel like that sci-fi movie is never made. XD

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
Ironically I just finished watching a rerun of "I Robot". An AI is only as strong as it's weakest link. The capacity for example to creatively reinterpret ethical directives (as demonstrated in the movie) is one road that could lead to disaster, hacking of AI programs could leave a super-intelligence in the hands of a real-world psychopath, perhaps covertly (at first). Society is driven by capitalistic motives, not humanistic ones, so why would the development of any new technology be the exception?

Nuclear bombs before microwave ovens. The real race toward AI and Android technology is militaristic, not mutualistic. Any advantages to the public sector are secondary to priorities of military supremacy and corporate profit. If an AI shares the priorities of it's creator, than human beings will be Objects in Object Oriented Programs whose purpose will ultimately be to provide money to the company that built the machine. If cynicism ever had a rightful place, it's with regard to the development of AI.

The Turing test rates an AI on it's capacity to deceive a human being into believing the AI is something it is not. Deception is the benchmark of Artificial Intelligence. We're off to a great start. :)

- Cham