Movies Actors & Actresses Who Dropped the Ball

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Mirage, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

When you think of actors and actresses who dropped the ball, who do you think of?

I guess by "Dropped the ball" I am referring to people who turned down opportunities that would have been hugely beneficial towards their career.

Two immediately come to mind for me:

[​IMG]

Crispin Glover dropped the ball badly. He turned down the opportunity to be in Back to the Future 2 & 3. (He played George McFly in the first one). These movies were hugely successful and instead he went the way of Johnny Depp earlier in his career, playing odd roles and crazy roles. He played Willy Wonka in the spoof movie "Epic Movie" and was an early fan favorite to play the role of The Joker in Batman Dark Knight but admitted in an interview that he wasn't a big enough name to land the part. (I have to say Crispin Glover just may have done a fantastic Joker but I'm perfectly fine with how it was eventually cast).

[​IMG]

Marcus Chong failed epically. He played Tank in the original Matrix in 1999. He was one of the 4 survivors on the Nebuchadnezzar at the end of the movie and should have been able to take his career to new levels by being in the sequels. Well he was offered $250,000 to do the two sequels. He turned this down and said he wanted $500,000, to which the Wachowski brothers told him no. It seems petty that they wouldn't pay him $500k since he was a fairly main character, however regardless of what they wanted to pay him he was a fool for turning it down. Harold Perrineau, the actor who took the role of the NEW operator in the Matrix sequels ended up landing a HUGE role as Michael Dawson in LOST shortly after the two Matrix sequels were released. Was it due to his role in the Matrix sequels? Who knows. One thing is for sure, those two movies definitely did not hurt his career. Marcus Chong fails hard by not being in those movies for free if he had to.

So, who else do you think really dropped the ball on what could have otherwise been a very successful A list career?

2. Altanzitarron

Altanzitarron Tamer Of The LOLzilla

This is so weired, I almost said in the Daredevil thread that I'd rather see Guy Pearce play Daredevil but then thought nah, theres no way we'd see that. I was just looking on a site about actors who turn down roles and it says Guy Pearce turned down the role of Daredevil! He was also considered for Batman Begins as the bat himself but this time he was turned down. I'm glad he wasn't Batman but I bet he would have made an awesome daredevil.

Heres the site, you can browse by film and actor: notstarring.com -- movie trivia

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  3. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Mel Gibson Turned down the lead role in Gladiator. A role which landed Russell Crowe the Academy Award. Mel also turned down the part of Robin Hood in “Robin Hood Prince of Thieves.” Instead, that part went to a not very belieaveable Kevin Costner.

Alec Baldwin The role of Richard Kimball in “The Fugitive” was originally offered to Alec. After he turned it down, it went to Harrison Ford.

Molly Ringwald - Molly Ringwald turned down the role of Vivian in “Pretty Woman” and the role of Molly in “Ghost” among others. She was also offered a part in Scream which she turned down because she was in her late 20’s and didn’t want a teenage role. Also, she was offered Leah Thompson’s role in “Some Kind of Wonderful” which she turned down severing her relationship with John Hughes. Personally, I can’t see her in any of those roles and never felt she was all that great of an actress anyway. She’s good with whiny roles, however. I’ll give her that.

4. Mirage

I wouldn't say that move hurt Mel Gibson's career though. I'm talking mostly about people who could have been much more popular actors and actresses if they had taken certain roles. I don't think Mel Gibson is hurting in that category.

On a side note, speaking of Mel Gibson, Harrison Ford turned down the role of Benjamin Martin in "The Patriot", which ended up going to Mel Gibson. Harrison Ford isn't hurting for popularity either.

5. Italiano

Italiano Film Elitist

I'd say Sean Connery on multiple levels. In the 90s he kept turning down multiple roles for various reasons and regretting half of them. Already mentioned in a previous thread he turned down LOTR and THE MATRIX but he also turned down roles in JURASSIC PARK, DIE HARD WITH A VENGEANCE, and ALEXANDER (which was a smart move anyways).

Then after turning down so many roles he got the script for THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN and decided to jump on board. Afterward he disliked everything about it and the way he was treated so bad that he decided to retire.

6. Mirage

Maybe later in his career but you can't argue that he's been very successful. I mean, if everybody knows your name you aren't doing that poorly in Hollywood.

7. Italiano

Italiano Film Elitist

Yeah, but he had been constantly dropping the ball for years and then he drops the biggest ball of all when he did THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN.

Not to mention had a few misses here and there on his resume. Not everything he's done has been THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER or THE ROCK.

8. DLFerguson

DLFerguson Registered Member

But it's easy for us now to look back and say: "Why in the world would so-and-so turn down a role in THAT movie?" or "They should have played so-and-so for free"

We forget that actors are given dozens of scripts to read and there is simply no way for them to know by reading the script if a movie is going to be a major blockbuster hit that will enhance their career or the biggest flop of the year. the first STAR WARS is now considered a classic but executives at 20th Century Fox were extremely unhappy with it and were thisclose to shelving the movie. Harrison Ford went back to carpentry, convinced the movie would be a bomb.

Another thing to consider is that as much as fans would like to believe otherwise, for the majority of actors this is a job and nothing more.

9. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

Didn't Katie Holmes turn down the role of Rachel in The Dark Knight because she wanted more money? If that is true (I heard it from a friend) then she is stupid and should take what she's offered.

10. Italiano

Italiano Film Elitist

Sean Connery had the worst luck though. He always had uncertainty's or misunderstandings about the script or story so he turned it down.

As I said it's only wishful thinking, nothing to pine over. But what if he had taken one of those scripts he had turned down?