• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Activision: Blockbuster or Bust?

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
New Call of Duty Studio Opened - PlayStation 3 News at IGN

God. I hate Activision.

I would call myself a Guitar Hero fan. Since the first game, I have gotten almost every single title. I love them. To hear that GH is gone for a long time (until deemed necessary, if at all) is sad. Also, an UNRELEASED GAME AND TEAM WORKING ON True Crime (aka True Crime: Hong Kong) has apparently been canceled.

ALL FOR THE SAKE OF A NEW STUDIO TO CREATE DIGITAL CONTENT OUT THE WAZZOU FOR CALL OF DUTY.

Yes, I know Call of Duty is popular, but you are cancelling a franchise and an unproven title for DIGITAL CONTENT.

Is Activision not happy with par-level products?
Thoughts?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
GH has had miserable numbers as of late if I recall correctly. The market for music games is so saturated it's gross. I do see enough reason for them to have a studio to push out content for CoD and I think it's a solid idea from a business standpoint. My guess is that in their plans for the franchise is going to include some serious expansions. Meaning a steady calendar of a few releases every year. Now, this can be both good and bad. It means we could get plenty of content and possibly lower prices on said content, but it also means the CoD tit could dry up pretty quickly.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
GH has had miserable numbers as of late if I recall correctly. The market for music games is so saturated it's gross. I do see enough reason for them to have a studio to push out content for CoD and I think it's a solid idea from a business standpoint. My guess is that in their plans for the franchise is going to include some serious expansions. Meaning a steady calendar of a few releases every year. Now, this can be both good and bad. It means we could get plenty of content and possibly lower prices on said content, but it also means the CoD tit could dry up pretty quickly.
It will get old. Fast.

Yes, Activision is getting rid of GH (which I admit has gotten stale) but getting rid of True Crime: Hong Kong after 1 1/2 years of development is wrong. You hired a studio just to make that game, and you are no laying them off so you can hire new guys to make CoD content at a steady stream.

What a good idea! Just ruin the excitement of the video game industry. We could have had a gem (I was pumped for TC: HK)

Activision will have to work their butts off for me to get another game from them.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I see no great loss in the lack of new games in the GH or TC series. I never understood the appeal of GH, I've always found the games boring... as for TC, the first two games were awful.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Yeah sorry Kspice, True Crime has never been good. You may be one of the only people upset it's not happening. Also, games get canceled. It happens and in this case it's because they're hemorrhaging money.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Yeah sorry Kspice, True Crime has never been good. You may be one of the only people upset it's not happening. Also, games get canceled. It happens and in this case it's because they're hemorrhaging money.
I doubt they are hemmorhaging money. I'm pretty sure they are making billions. I can't find the numbers, but I know that they aren't losing much.

These moves were made JUST for the fact to hire another studio for CoD.

Thanks Activision.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Yes they are. Where in their company are they losing money? Guitar Hero and music games, that's why they axed the series. The market was over saturated and their expected sales were plummeting.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Yes they are. Where in their company are they losing money? Guitar Hero and music games, that's why they axed the series. The market was over saturated and their expected sales were plummeting.
So you cut it out to make room for more stuff for your biggest franchise?

What if CoD gets old? Is Activision going to fail? I think so.

Putting all their eggs in one basket.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
So you cut it out to make room for more stuff for your biggest franchise?

What if CoD gets old? Is Activision going to fail? I think so.

Putting all their eggs in one basket.
They might be putting money aside for another big project. It would be dumb for Activision to put all their eggs in one basket. I already see COD's following falling apart slowly every year. But it will take awhile for the COD franchise to crumble. I wouldn't lose hope for Activision, they made a wise decision and should put their funds into another project.