• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Acoustic or Electric

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

Impact

V.I.P.
Which sound do you prefer? Electric guitar, or acoustic guitar?

I have to go with the electric guitar, because all my favourite types of music use it. Not to say I don't like acoustic songs, there are a couple I really enjoy.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
It really depends. Some songs are just better suited for Electric Guitars, and other songs are better suited for Acoustic.

For example, Bon Jovi has two versions of Livin on a Prayer, one is acoustic and the other one is electric. Electric is a much better version.

In other words, I'm not really picky, it's what sounds better in the song itself that really matters to me.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I like both but I for the sake of the poll I have to go with electric.

I do think it's cool with a band mixing in both types of guitars; kinda cool.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I also like both but in different ways. I love it when bands try to do a mixture of the two. Years ago before I had heard of Stone Sour a friend played "Bother" for me and at first I asked who it was, when I was told it was Corey Taylor I couldn't believe it. I also love the acoustic cover of Tear Drop by Newton Faulkner.

dDave

V.I.P.
The problem with this question is that both are completely awesome but it depends on the song.

I guess if I really had to pick one I would go with acoustic just because there are so many electric players a lot of it is ruined and just sounds terrible (in my opinion).

There are excellent players of both but then you take people like John Mayer, Eric Clapton (on his unplugged album), or Doyle Dykes and it just sounds purely incredible and it's all natural.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I own two acoustic guitars that were built for me so I am going with acoustic. I think that acoustic sounds better just on it's own, where as electric usually only sounds good (to me) when it is heard as part of an ensemble or a whole band.

dDave

V.I.P.
I own two acoustic guitars that were built for me so I am going with acoustic. I think that acoustic sounds better just on it's own, where as electric usually only sounds good (to me) when it is heard as part of an ensemble or a whole band.
Yeah that's a really good point, electric guitar by itself doesn't sound too great, you need a bass player at the very least to make it sound good (unless you're Eric Johnson) and typically you need a pianist (or keyboard player), and drums.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I think Dave hit the nail on the head, it depends on the song. For example a song like Dust in the Wind is an acoustic song and it sounds silly on an electric guitar.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Im not as fond of electric as I am of acoustic. Acoustic always has and always will be my favourite. I just like the cleaner sound of it. It's hard to go wrong. I don't mind electric, it just doesn't sound as great on its own. As part of a band, it sounds great though.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I prefer acoustic guitar...the mellow in me I guess. Anyway, in songs where electric guitar works, usually it's the drum part that gets me rocking and not the guitar.