Account guard on ebay

Discussion in 'Money & Investing' started by trees, Aug 13, 2005.

1. trees

trees Registered Member

OK, this is scarey...I was searching the web for something in particular, it was nothing to do with ebay, but had something to do with an ebay members user name.......But looked like a "real" Business. The page opened and when I tried to click on a link to contact them, this thing popped up on my screen and scared the HE** out of me. It said you are about to enter your ebay password into an unverified site! Would you like to continue! Of course I hit no and got off that page... It was my account guard that did the pop up, but I dont understand cause I was not about to enter anything to my knowing. Does any one have a clue what in the HE** just happened, or what I should do? I did report it as a suspicious site......

Last edited: Aug 13, 2005

2. karvsdiscounts

karvsdiscounts Registered Member

When you clicked the link - there must be a form field (hidden or not) requesting a password associated with EBay. Since you didn't continue, would be hard to tell.

3. trees

trees Registered Member

What is a form field?

4. karvsdiscounts

You know those contact us forms? Not the email links, where you actually use a web page. Each of the fields you fill out are a form field (programming language, lol). Some can be hidden, some are open. If - say, you had cruised from EBay, and that page was in your cache - they could somehow access that or a cookie (but they would have to unscramble the encrytion). Otherwise, it sounds like they would ask for the EBay Password.

Now, I don't know what Account Guard is, they may have misinterpreted the form. Or, you were accessing a business - such as auction helpers or bidding snipers, that require that sort of info. Not knowing the full details - very hard to say.

5. trees

trees Registered Member

Account guard is a free tool from ebay, You should have it! Check onto it....Anyway, I reported the site, and I am watching the ebay user, which is where I got the idea to look for the site in the first place......From their user name..... I will see if they get removed!Cause I am sure they are linked somehow to that page......and if so and if it was a site trying to mess people up they will be caught! Muhahhahahaaaa
    Thanks for your help!

6. karvsdiscounts

What was the business? May I ask?

7. trees

trees Registered Member

Not trying to be mean, but I really do not want to tell that info, atleast untill I am sure it wasnt a glitch.....maybe not even then. If these people know how to do those sneaky things......I would not want them on my bad side.And this is pretty much a public forum to whom ever joins...... :lol: I hope you understand.

8. karvsdiscounts

LOL, gotcha. Understand? I'm a regular poster on the EBay boards - Paypal, T&S - etc. I am not easily offended :)

9. iggyshotthebear

iggyshotthebear Registered Member

I use the same username and password for most of my stuff. Email and eBay and just everything. Mainly because if I didnt, I would confuse myself.

So I get that popup alot.

10. yooperchick

yooperchick Registered Member

With everything going on nowadays with fraud, it is important to try to have different passwords for everything (once one password is figured out - hmmm - anything else out there with the same one?). I know it's difficult - and I used to have the same password for everything as well. I didn't even think much of it until I saw a show on TV. Now, I have different passwords for everything. It's a lot to remember, but once you get used to it - it's not that bad.

I don't mean to sound like I'm preaching or anything. I just never really thought about the possibility of someone figuring out my password and getting into everything until I saw that TV show.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2005