• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Academic vs Street Wisdom

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
I know it's possible to possess both.

This thread is going to ignore the idea though and pose the question of which is the better one to have.
Consider you are devoid of one, yet brimmed with the other, which sort would you prefer to have. Is the lack of one going to hinder you in life? What do you reckon?

To have:
Academic knowledge, in which you have adequate wisdom in educational areas. Sciences, formal language, maths, philosophy and all that topical caper.

Or to have:
Street Wisdom, in which you are wise to social problems, jobs, informal languages, financial living etc and other such stuff.

If any of that makes sense... Meh.

redroses

Registered Member
i think if i could onlyy have one it would be street wisdom. dont really know why i just think i would be more able to look after myself in life than if i was really amazing academically.

BigBob

Registered Member
I personally believe I have both, but if I had to chooes one.. I would take street smarts. You can live off of street smarts, but you can make a living off of academic smarts so it's kind of hard to choose when you look at it like that.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
Definitely street smarts. Because academics is only good in the world of academia and that's not the world we live in. Street smarts is more practical. If you have good social skills, you can go anywhere you want in life.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
They are both important, but I'd rather have street smarts if I could only have one. I don't think book smarts really does you any good without street smarts to compliment it.

Wade8813

Registered Member
Just for the record knowledge =/= wisdom.

Also, it's kind of a weird distinction to make IMO. Someone could be a genius at math but not know anything about world history. Are they book smart, or not? Or someone could have great people skills, but be completely clueless when it comes to handling dangerous situations. Does that person have street smarts?

But to answer your question, I don't think I could say one is more important than the other. There are just too many areas in life where one or the other (or both) are important.

Impact

V.I.P.
They are both important, but I'd rather have street smarts if I could only have one. I don't think book smarts really does you any good without street smarts to compliment it.
Couldn't have put it better myself. Street smarts help you survive on a day to day basis, you're pretty screwed without them.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I would definitely go with street smarts. You can be as good at math as you want, but it won't do you any good walking down the street. Like it's been said, knowledge without wisdom is just knowledge, but with wisdom, it becomes powerful.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I agree 100%. I think having street smarts alone would do you better than having only book smarts. People with only book smarts have to pick up street smarts very quickly in their career or sink completely. No one likes a smart ass. Practicality and social skills will get you that much further in life and your career.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
Just for the record knowledge =/= wisdom.

Also, it's kind of a weird distinction to make IMO. Someone could be a genius at math but not know anything about world history. Are they book smart, or not? Or someone could have great people skills, but be completely clueless when it comes to handling dangerous situations. Does that person have street smarts?

But to answer your question, I don't think I could say one is more important than the other. There are just too many areas in life where one or the other (or both) are important.
This is the answer I was giong to give. You can't choose one and let the other one. Both are important and needed in different situations in life.
If you manage to have both then you couldn't be more perfect.