• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Absurd Sounding Internet Businesses - Scam or Not?

softwarewiz

Registered Member
I just came across this website called "The Rich Jerk" where this guy has the typical ebook sales website, but it's different because he's got a whole different approach - instead of persuasion to buy his book, he insults you the whole way through. Actually I thought it was pretty funny.

I have no idea what his "business" is that is guaranteed to make millions for you (yeah, right), and I don't really want to waste even the small amount of money he's asking to find out ... just thought it was a different kind of site than the type I'm used to seeing flogging ebooks to make you rich quick. Here's the link if you want to see his approach http://www.therichjerk.com/.

Has anyone every bought an ebook online that actually turned out to be useful in making financial decisions? I see so many advertised, but they all look and sound like scams. I have a friend who has one he is pushing right now that actually is a good ebook a lot of people could probably benefit from on "email netiquette", but his website looks like a scam to me. However, he pointed me to "experts" who say the approach and look of a site like that actually sells ebooks.

Any insight from anyone on these type of sales sites? Anyone ever buy anything that turned out useful even though it looked like a scam? Or are they all the same? I guess I'm looking for an easy way to make some extra cash, but don't trust anyone who has a money-making method that works yet is willing to sell the idea to others ... why not just keep making money for yourself if it's such a successful way to make money????

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I've seen it. It's pretty funny but I kept getting mad the whole way through lol!

I haven't ever paid money for a money making ebook though. I guess I have just been able to find enough good solid info for free that I don't see a reason to try somebody elses idea that I have no clue about. :-/

lzamora

Registered Member
Is funny just to think that at least three of us have read the stupid things that guy is advertising... in an insulting manner (I read it even before you post this thread, and I got there from the from the milliondollarhomepage link). Could it be of benefit for him at least bring people to his site by the discusions and references like the one we are having here? What he is doing is not illegal, but it is scam for sure and I think between the visits to his site and the fool people that dare to buy that book, he might be correct saying he is rich... almost sure the book is in hidden way saying to every buyer: "thank you fool for making me even more rich!!!":nod:

finance123

This is a classical "e-book" marketing strategy. According to many comments found on several websites, it seems that, although the information found in the e-book is rather accurate, there is nothing new in it.
So, if you're familiar with internet and business tips, you may not find this really interesting. Most of the information today can be found for free on specialized websites, blogs and forums.
So, my advice for you would be to buy it only if you're a newbie and don't know anything about internet business. Otherwise, it may be wiser to take some time finding information by yourself.
One funny thing though with "The rich jerk" is its very original way to promote the product, by insulting potential customers... and it seems to be working!

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I went and checked out the Rich Jerk because he openly flaunts "I'm better than you.." and I wanted to see what it was all about. I got mad reading it though, and never ended up buying it because I also think that most of the information in it can probably be found elsewhere. I haven't read it of course so I can't be sure I guess. :)

leopard22

Registered Member
This looks like a scam to me too. Then again, I was working on developing an ebook with a friend and he said that the usual ebook sales approach works better than a less obvious, non-sleazy sounding and shorter pitch. I don't know if it's true or not, but he read it somewhere. He wanted me to write the letter for him for the ebook, but I refused. I do have my limits of sleaziness, so he had to write it. He hasn't sold many but it could be the topic too. I never thought it would sell much, but it was his money :shake:

Does The Rich Jerk's ebook continue its insulting tone in the ebook itself? Or was it just that it was old, commonplace stuff he was talking about and therefore not worth reading?