Absolutely Sure?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Mirage, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Here's an interesting question. Is it possible to be absolutely sure about any one thing? Take this statement for example:

I am absolutely sure that one cannot be absolutely sure about ______.

Fill in the blank. Basically, are there things that you believe you can be absolutely sure of? Even if you are absolutely sure that you CAN'T be absolutely sure, are you actually absolutely sure? :D

Say that 10 times fast. Seriously though. Kind of a lighter debate. We'll see where it goes.

2. Vidic15

Vidic15 No Custom Title Exists V.I.P. Lifetime

I am absolutely sure that one cannot be absolutely sure about why exactly did America invade Iraq for? Just to capture the dictator or steal the gas?

3. Altanzitarron

Altanzitarron Tamer Of The LOLzilla

I am absolutely sure that one cannot be absolutely sure about whether or not we are just bacteria in the mouth of one giant beast.

4. Corona

Corona Registered Member

I am absolutely sure that I am consious, and I am absolutely sure I am alive, becaise if I were not alive or conscious I could not formulate then type this thought.

5. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

Agreed Corona,

I am also absolutely sure that you cannot be sure about being sure about time travel. (try making sense of that)

6. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I am absolutely sure that one cannot be absolutely sure that their entire life has not been one long dream.

7. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

I'm absolutely sure that there is experience. That's about it. I think Bertrand Russell fairly criticized Descartes' "Cogito, Ergo Sum" ("I think, therefore I am") for being redundant. If I were to consist of only what I consciously experience at any given time, then my existence (well.. an existence, at least) is implied in the proposition "I think", so "I am" would not really be an additional fact.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  8. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

I am absolutely sure that one cannot be absolutely sure about the existence of a supreme being or diety.

Its just what I've always believed.

9. Steerpike

Steerpike Registered Member

I am absolutely sure that one cannot be absolutely sure about what the present would look exactly like if any specific historic incident had not occured. (For example, what would the world look like if the Normans had not been successful in the invasion of Britain in 1066?) It would be different. But what it would look like exactly in 2008, no one could know.

On a more practical level, it would depend on the level of skepticism. One can be sure of one's subjective perceptions at the time they are happening.

10. FaKeD

FaKeD Registered Member

I am also absolutely sure that you cannot be sure about the origin of the Universe ;)