Absolute Truth?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Mirage, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

"The only absolute truth is that there is no absolute truth."

"It's absolutely impossible to be absolutely sure about anything."

Still with me?

What do you think about these sayings? I've posted similar stuff before but it's been a while since we had a good thread on this.

Do you believe in absolute truth? Why or why not?

Are you sure? :lol:

2. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

there's a contradiction though.
    "the absolute truth is that there's not an absolute truth"
    it seems to be an absolute truth though ...
    and it's only one.

oh ... there is another one...
    "the sun exists" . can anyone doubt about this?

so i think the first saying is just wrong .. and it's absolutely wrong .. because i just proved an absolute truth.

3. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

It's always bugged me when people say there is no absolute truth (or that the only absolute is that there are no absolutes). Sure, sometimes we don't know what the absolute truth is, but we know it exists. And there are a lot of times where we DO know what the absolute truth is.

4. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Wait, who says we know it exists? How is that fact? Of course we know it exists, we made it up. That's like saying, "We know the automobile exists". Also, when have we known the absolute truth? I'm not doubting plausible answers, I just want to hear what you think of for examples, Wade.

5. Wade8813

A lot of math and logic deal with things that must be true. Also things in religion and the "soft" sciences, where some people feel we might never know the answers (the Christian God either exists or doesn't exist. We might not know which is true, but we can know for certain that one of those two is true).

And these would be absolutes whether or not humans existed.

6. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Are you trying to convince me that religion would have existed without human beings? You know, the bible wasn't pulled out of a tree trunk :D

Also, just because you don't know something does not make it any absolute truth in any meaning of the term. As a matter of fact, it's quite the opposite, you have little to no truth of it! Also, who says it's so black and white like you said? What if a Christian god exists, but not in the same way you envision him? Technically, the god you envisioned does not exist, but a different one does. Lastly, just because something is labeled "science" doesn't make it truth. For example, many scientists have begun questioning the legitimacy of one of the longest standing scientific "truths" of all time: the theory of relativity.

7. Wade8813

I'm not saying religion would exist without humans - many of the things within religion, if true, would be true without humans. If the Christian God exists, He would exist whether or not humans existed.

Things that are absolutely true are true no matter what. Our knowing about it (or not knowing about it) has nothing to do with their truth.

For purposes of this discussion, it doesn't matter if the Christian God exists or not, or whether or not He exists as I (or anybody else) envision Him. Either He exists or He doesn't exist.

I understand that being labeled "science" doesn't make things true - remember, I've argued against Evolution as much as almost anybody on these forums (and I know about the Einstein thing - I posted a thread about it, and only one other person posted on it).

8. FutureTrackStar

FutureTrackStar Registered Member

Interesting thread. I'll just start by saying absolute truth most certainly does exist and can be proven to anybody in a short conversation:

1: There are no absolutes.

2: Are you absolutely sure?

I know, it's the same principle as mentioned above.

And, as Wade mentioned already, many things either are or are not true.

For instance... Jesus either was God, or was not God. Josh McDowell said in his book, "If Jesus was not God, then he deserved an oscar" lol

Speaking of Jesus, has any other man been able to convince millions that he was God? Just curious...

9. Arcadoc

Arcadoc Registered Member

Jesus was not God. Jesus was born to Joseph and Mary via Immaculate Conception. Therefore Jesus was the Son of God.

As for absolutes, an "Absolute Truth" may exist only if there is no possibility of exception. For example: A woman is pregnant. There has never been a recorded case of a human female giving birth to anything other than a human child. In absence of exception, we must assume then that she is pregnant with a human child.
    The absolute truth then is that Jesus was a human because he was born of a human mother. It is therefore absolutely impossible for Jesus to have been God.

10. FutureTrackStar

FutureTrackStar Registered Member

- Ok. My mistake. My example should have been:

"For instance... Jesus either was God in the flesh, or was not God in the flesh."

There is no doubt that Jesus claimed to be God (in the flesh), as recorded in the Bible. I never said Jesus was the Father... but Jesus definitely claimed to be God (in the flesh). He had many followers who were completely convinced that He was God (in the flesh) as well.

So, the statement still stands. Jesus was either God in the flesh, or not. If He was not, he deserves an oscar.

And... still curious about my last question lol.