• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Abortion rights of the father

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Pretty simply question here.

Should the father have the veto power to stop an abortion?

Mod Post: I know the thread hasn't even started and I'm already making a mod posts, but we all know these type of threads can get heated fast. So, lets keep it civil.

Shwa

V.I.P.
I can't say that I've heard a lot of news where there has been problems with this issue, but it is something I've seen on television dramas where the mother/wife would get the abortion regardless of what the husband wanted/felt. In my opinion, I think if they're married they should make the choice together as a team. Some married couples just aren't ready for a baby at a stage of their life, due financially or just in general. If they do decide to have the baby, its costly for the 9 months, signing up for adoptive parents and having to go through all the medical check ups and what not.

But I believe that the father should have a say in the matter since the child is in all actuality his as well. I think it selfish when some women believe a child is their own because they're the one who gave birth and what not.

I'm on the fence with abortion, I don't condone it but there are situations where I think it is proper for the carrier to decide the fate of the child. But in this case, I would say yes, the father should have the veto right or just the right in general to make the choice or decide against it. Like I mentioned before, team effort.

~Shwa

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
I totally agree with Shwa. The father should have a say in abortion and his thought should be seriously taken into consideration.
Though the mother is the one to take the final decision.

But if the mother doesn't have strong arguments about why she doesn't want to keep the baby then it should be court's decision to remain as the last one.
Considering mother's health and her/the couple's financial status, the place they/she live(s)... then the court should decide whether the baby should be kept or not.

ONLY in pregnancy as a result of a rape, the father must not have any say. Zero tolerance.

Dabs

Registered Member
No. Whether or not a woman wants an abortion is up to the woman. I know it takes 2 to do the deed, but it's the woman who has to carry the fetus for 9 months. If she chooses to abort, I say she should be allowed to do so.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
No. Whether or not a woman wants an abortion is up to the woman. I know it takes 2 to do the deed, but it's the woman who has to carry the fetus for 9 months. If she chooses to abort, I say she should be allowed to do so.
Couldn't you argue, since you claim that it takes two to do the deed, that it should take two to decide such a serious thing? What if the father wants it and the mother aborts? Nobody gets sad over that. But when the father doesn't want it and the mother does, he gets ripped for child support. It seems kind of odd that nothing happens the other way around. But those are just my initial, raw thoughts.

Dabs

Registered Member
Couldn't you argue, since you claim that it takes two to do the deed, that it should take two to decide such a serious thing? What if the father wants it and the mother aborts? Nobody gets sad over that. But when the father doesn't want it and the mother does, he gets ripped for child support. It seems kind of odd that nothing happens the other way around. But those are just my initial, raw thoughts.
I have to agree with you regarding the child support statement, that doesn't seem fair, if he has to pay when a child is born, and maybe he didn't want it, and the Mother goes after, etc, etc.
But as for my thoughts on the abortion. It's her body. Maybe she feels she is not old enough or mentally stable enough to have a child. Putting the baby up for adoption is of course an option, but the woman still has to carry the baby for 9 months. Her life for that 9 months is changing, while the Father, nothing changes for him. Hell, half the time the women probably don't even tell the guy. But if she does abort, no one worries about child support.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
It's her body. Maybe she feels she is not old enough or mentally stable enough to have a child. Putting the baby up for adoption is of course an option, but the woman still has to carry the baby for 9 months. Her life for that 9 months is changing, while the Father, nothing changes for him. Hell, half the time the women probably don't even tell the guy. But if she does abort, no one worries about child support.
How do you know nothing changes for the father???
Just because he doesn't carry the child, it doesn't mean those 9 months of pregnancy are meaningless.

Scissorhands

Registered Member
I say the father should but it's almost inevitable that he ever will.

It's pretty much viewed the same as a woman having a mole on her back. She chooses to keep it or remove it because it is her body. Her guy friend may not like it and may try to persuade her to get rid of it, but it's ultimately up to her. (Or vice versa, he may like it.)

I, myself, am on my second abortion. I have had no say in either one and I think it's fucked up.

Dabs

Registered Member
How do you know nothing changes for the father???
Just because he doesn't carry the child, it doesn't mean those 9 months of pregnancy are meaningless.
I didn't say it was meaningless, but as far as physical body changes, he doesn't have any. And when a woman carries a child, it changes her physically of course, but mentally as well.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
I didn't say it was meaningless, but as far as physical body changes, he doesn't have any. And when a woman carries a child, it changes her physically of course, but mentally as well.
And so ? Where's the problem if it changes her physically/mentally?
Sooner or later that's going to happen for almost every woman out there.
It's not a strong argument for why a woman should abort her baby.

Only if it's health-risky and/or happens because of a rape then it should be woman's say 100%.

Last edited: