• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Abortion clinics advertising

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Source: BBC News

[Private clinics that charge for pregnancy services including abortions will be able to advertise on television and radio under new rules.

The Broadcast Committee of Advertising Practice (BCAP) said there was no justification to bar clinics offering post-conception advice services (PCAS).

For-profit pregnancy centres can currently advertise in all media except television and radio.
[FONT=&quot]This is something of a shock to me, I have no problem with abortion as such, I understand why people feel that pro life choice is the only choice but I don't think it is always that black and white especially in countries where rape is used as a form of torture and the killing of new borns is seen as an honor killing but this advertising is new to us here in the UK. I am not sure how things work in America or around the world but I am torn on this. I am not sure if people will see this advert and think it is acceptable to have an abortion without a second thought or maybe it will have the same affect but allow women who are pregnant and are not ready to be mothers to think "I am not a bad person, I may have just made a bad choice".[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Being a man I cannot comment on this so I would like to ask the women on this board, do you think this is a good thing? Is it needed? Is there enough information of your choices? Is this borer line gratuitous?[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott75

Registered Member
Being a man I cannot comment on this so I would like to ask the women on this board, do you think this is a good thing? Is it needed? Is there enough information of your choices? Is this borer line gratuitous?[/FONT]
Why does the fact that you're a man mean that you can't comment on this? Anyway, I'm a man, and I'm happy they made this change. There are so many crappy advertisements out there, it'd be nice to get a few more meaningful ones.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Why does the fact that you're a man mean that you can't comment on this? Anyway, I'm a man, and I'm happy they made this change. There are so many crappy advertisements out there, it'd be nice to get a few more meaningful ones.
The reason I feel this way is that ultimatly I will ever have the experiance of this, I can comfort someone or show my support but ultimatly I will never be in that situation, for this reason I don't think I can comment on it.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I hate abortion, but I see no reason they shouldn't be able to advertise on TV and radio, especially since not-for-profit centers already do so.

And as Scott said, your gender has nothing to do with this.

Random9

Registered Member
it sort of might have something to do with this,it's easier and less meaningful to oppose something which has nothing/less to do with you.(for example a man shouldn't worry about getting pregnant due to rape,which makes it easier for some people to ask women not to have an abortion in such cases because they won't be directly effected by them)

i'm not very sure about this,it could easily cause both good and bad consequences.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
I hate abortion, but I see no reason they shouldn't be able to advertise on TV and radio, especially since not-for-profit centers already do so.
I agree with Wade on this. I hate abortions, but I really don't see why they can't advertise for the people that are thinking about an abortion. If somebody is going to have an abortion they are going ot have it one way or the other, but if somebody is on the fence and it's advertised, it would make people feel that they are not on the fence comfortable to go up there and ask questions and their practices to help them make a decision.

Wade8813

Registered Member
it sort of might have something to do with this,it's easier and less meaningful to oppose something which has nothing/less to do with you.(for example a man shouldn't worry about getting pregnant due to rape,which makes it easier for some people to ask women not to have an abortion in such cases because they won't be directly effected by them)

i'm not very sure about this,it could easily cause both good and bad consequences.
Yes, it's easier - and thus slightly less meaningful, but it in no way means men shouldn't voice their opinion.

Also, while a man can't get pregnant from a rape, having a wife or daughter become pregnant from a rape can be just as devastating.

I agree with Wade on this. I hate abortions, but I really don't see why they can't advertise for the people that are thinking about an abortion. If somebody is going to have an abortion they are going ot have it one way or the other, but if somebody is on the fence and it's advertised, it would make people feel that they are not on the fence comfortable to go up there and ask questions and their practices to help them make a decision.
Actually, that does raise one issue I have - so often, these abortion clinics don't answer your questions. They just pressure you to get an abortion. But as much as I can't stand it, I don't see any reason to prevent these ads.

Scott75

Registered Member
The reason I feel this way is that ultimately I will never have this experience, I can comfort someone or show my support but ultimately I will never be in that situation, for this reason I don't think I can comment on it.
Mothers will never be able to impregnate women, but that doesn't mean they should never tell their boys to wear condoms if they get a girl pregnant, laugh :). Or to do their share if they don't and something happens. I agree with you in a narrow sense, however; if I impregnate a woman, I may suggest that she take x or y course of action, but it'll stay there; it's not my body that has to carry the fetus for 9 months. If she wants to abort it or not, I may not be happy of her decision (whatever it is; it all depends on circumstances), but it's her body, not mine. All I did was supply a bit of sperm which is hardly irreplaceable :p. I'm ok with having to pay child support if I get a woman pregnant. Honestly, I'd like to have a kid one day, but first I need a job.. I'm working on it, laugh :p.
------

Glad we agree on that :). Now for one of those hot button issues; why do you hate abortion?
------

it sort of might have something to do with this,it's easier and less meaningful to oppose something which has nothing/less to do with you. (for example a man shouldn't worry about getting pregnant due to rape,which makes it easier for some people to ask women not to have an abortion in such cases because they won't be directly affected by them)
The men -will- be affected if they have to pay child support because of it. That being said, if they were really so concerned, they should have used protection. Responsibility starts at the time of conception as far as I'm concerned. Kind of reminds me of a story I heard from a woman online though; a man didn't want to have a kid, I think because his own father was pretty bad or something, so he always used condoms with his wife. His wife -did- want to have a kid, though, so one day after sex, she took off his condom, went to the bathroom and poured the semen into herself; they had a kid and the father actually found he liked being a father.. but it definitely could have gone the other way.. what if the father had divorced her and claimed that he shouldn't have to pay child support because his semen was stolen from him? I'd say he would have a point. Ofcourse, I think this type of thing very rarely happens.

What could have good and bad consequences?
------
I agree with Wade on this. I hate abortions, but I really don't see why they can't advertise for the people that are thinking about an abortion. If somebody is going to have an abortion they are going ot have it one way or the other,
Not necessarily. That being said, many do, and if it's illegally done, chances are the practitioner may not be a doctor; that may mean that not just be the fetus dies; the mother may die as well. Personally I think it's absolutely insane that in a world where around 21,000 children die every day in this world that there's still a debate about this. That's 92 million children dying between 2000 and 2010, which is almost a third of the entire U.S. population. But as the web site linked to above says, no one pays much attention to what kills these children: "The silent killers are poverty, hunger, easily preventable diseases and illnesses, and other related causes. Despite the scale of this daily/ongoing catastrophe, it rarely manages to achieve, much less sustain, prime-time, headline coverage."

All those pro life people should try to save the thousands of children that are dying every day instead of trying to force potential mothers to give birth to even more. But hypocrisy is something that our world has a lot of.

but if somebody is on the fence and it's advertised, it would make people feel that they are not on the fence comfortable to go up there and ask questions and their practices to help them make a decision.
Aye.
------
Actually, that does raise one issue I have - so often, these abortion clinics don't answer your questions. They just pressure you to get an abortion. But as much as I can't stand it, I don't see any reason to prevent these ads.
I see nothing wrong with ads, but I don't think that pressuring a woman to make a decision, either for or against abortion, is a good thing. It's a decision that the person will have to carry for the rest of their life, either way; they should be given information and then left to make their own decision.

Last edited:

Random9

Registered Member
advertising abortion.
on one hand it can harm morals,on the other it may encourage people not to ruin their lives by having a baby too early.

Scott75

Registered Member
advertising abortion. on one hand it can harm morals,on the other it may encourage people not to ruin their lives by having a baby too early.
I don't really think morals can be harmed. People can certainly be harmed by having bad morals though. The question is if there's anything morally wrong with having an abortion. I think my argument in this post concerning all the children dying every day is a strong argument that it's not; it's not like there aren't many humans well past the fetus stage that don't need help already. The argument has also been made that dogs are generally much more intelligent then fetuses and yet you can "put down" (aka kill) your dog, even if the dog isn't in a coma like state; in fact, it's done all the time at pounds to free up cages for yet more strays.

Ultimately, I don't think that women shouldn't be forced to carry a fetus for 9 months, especially when their are millions of children dying each year; people should focus on the children we already have instead of insisting that women must complete their pregnancies so that we have even more.