A tiny glimpse into space

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
http://atinyglimpse.ytmnd.com/

I know this is a ytmnd, but it's a serious one. Just let that sink in. How insane is that? One small spot of sky . . . 10,000 galaxies. I mean, think of how small we are compared to the universe.

Stuff like this just makes me realize all the petty things we worry about, that we take ourselves so seriously, and the fact that some people are still convinced that there's no possibility of extraterrestial life. The sheer size of this world is astounding and I don't think enough people know or realize it.

I guess there's not one main point to this thread, the site just got me thinking, perhaps it will do the same for you.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
I highyl doubt that. Didn't it say that it took millions of years for that light to reach us? we can't travel at the speed of light, and I doubt anything we make can last even a million years. It's still something cool to think about though.

Makes you wonder so much, your head hurts. well mine, anyway. I'm such a nerd.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
oxyMORON said:
I highyl doubt that. Didn't it say that it took millions of years for that light to reach us? we can't travel at the speed of light, and I doubt anything we make can last even a million years. It's still something cool to think about though.

Makes you wonder so much, your head hurts. well mine, anyway. I'm such a nerd.
Nah, you're not alone. It does hurt to think about how tiny we really are. I think people need to consider that we worry about such pointless things in the grand scheme of things.

Thats a tight ass picture. But damn I hate feeling so small!!!

Well seeing that I recently met a 17 year old thats over 7 feet tall. I think that I will not worry about a few thousand galaxies over 13 billion light years away.

I was telling my dad about this a little while back, and he brought up an interesting point... he said that while he doesn't believe it, this vastness of the universe could be used to prove that there is no other life in the universe... if there are SO MANY planets out there, it's almost certain that there would have developed other intelligent life on uncountable numbers of planets, and the universe has been around for SO LONG, that many of these other intelligent life forms would have become starfaring long before humans even existed... so the fact that not even a single starfaring race (of the many that must exist) has come here, means that they must not exist at all. *shrug* Interesting to think about, even if it doesn't necessarily logically hold true.