A Terrifyingly Ignorant Chinese Poem I Saw

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by mermaidboy, Apr 10, 2008.

1. mermaidboy

mermaidboy Registered Member

I attend Shanghai American School as an expat and, as a result, am exposed to a lot of literature that makes the rounds in the international school community. The following is a political poem written by an anonymous Chinese student. It deeply shocks me. I hope everyone agrees with me that this piece of seeming propaganda makes no sense and is completely fallacious.

作者: 破例 R , Apr 10,2008,16:40
    Reposted from ÊÀ½çÂÛ̳Íø. Feel free to forward, but please give credit to where its due.

"What do you want from Us?"世界论坛网

- A Poem Dedicated to the last 150 years of this planet.
    By a Slient, Silent Chinese. 世界论坛网

===
    When We were called Sick man of Asia, We were called The Peril.
    When We are billed to be the next Superpower, We are called The threat.

When We were closed our doors, You smuggled Drugs to Open Markets.
    When We Embrace Freed Trade, You blame us for Taking away your jobs.

When We were falling apart, You marched in your troops and wanted your "fair share".
    When We were putting the broken peices together again, "Free Tibet" you screamed, "it was an invasion!"

( When Woodrow Wilson Couldn't give back Birth Place of Confucius back to Us,
    But He did bought a ticket for the Famine Relief Ball for us.)

So, We Tried Communism, You hated us for being Communists
    When We embrace Capitalism, You hate us for being Capitalist.

When We have a Billion People, you said we were destroying the planet.
    When We are tried limited our numbers, you said It was human rights abuse.

When We were Poor, You think we are dogs.
    When We Loan you cash, You blame us for your debts.

When We build our industries, You called us Polluters.
    When we sell you goods, You blame us for global warming.

When We buy oil, You called that exploitation and Genocide.
    When You fight for oil, You called that Liberation.

When We were lost in Chaos and rampage, You wanted Rules of Law for us.
    When We uphold law and order against Violence, You called that Violating Human Rights.

When We were silent, You said you want us to have Free Speech.
    When We were silent no more, You say we were Brainwashed-Xenophoics.

Why do you hate us so much? We asked.
    "No," You Answered, "We don't hate You."

We don't Hate You either,
    But Do you understand us?

"Of course We do," You said,
    "We have AFP, CNN and BBCs..."

What do you really want from us?
    Think Hard first, then Answer...

Because you only get so many chances,
    Enough is Enough, Enough Hypocrisy for this one world.

We want One World, One Dream, And Peace On Earth.
    - This Big Blue Earth is Big Enough for all of Us.

FootNote:
    One,
    never mind the racist thick fake accent,
    I am sure this video Just want human Rights.
    YouTube - Olympic Gold for China - Beijing 2008

Two,
    If you don't know the above references,
    Go to libraries and Do your own research.
    don't get your facts from the tube,
    You wouldn't have a Clue.

Three,
    Any one is free to use this poem,
    Copy Right Notice,
    Just Give The Credit,
    to the Silent, Silent Chinese.
    ------
    The Chinese are silent because their government oppresses and censors them.

The world dislikes the Chinese because they refuse to give secessionist states that want to exercise capitalism, Buddhism, and most importantly, their unequivocal right to self determination a chance to do so.

Nobody respects the Chinese because they ran over more than 4000 students who wanted to express their dissent for a weak and corrupt government in 1989 with tanks.

The Chinese are funding the genocide in Darfur, and their people do not know it. The US government and its allies may be exploiting Iraq, but all three new candidates who are running (oh, I forgot China doesn't have a popular vote) aim to end the war or cut back on it to some degree. In fact, the leader who instigated the war in the first place has abysmally low approval ratings. Does China have a way for its public to give feedback? No. The Thousand Flowers Camaign ring a bell? How about the cultural revolution that was a response to the wide cries of dissent?

Sadly the big blue earth is NOT big enough thanks to their disregard for monogamy and safe sex, with hundreds of millions starving to death in their mud huts in the countryside. How can they tell us not to watch our news channels, which are privately owned and run, yet watch their government-run propaganda stations? I'm not saying that CNN or FOX is completely unbiased, but the sheer hypocrisy of it chills me.

I have thought long and hard about this, and I have come to the irrefutable conclusion that the Beijing Olympics are supposed to be a celebration of the noble human spirit that is so absent in China, and that anyone who supports it is also supporting the nation's funding of the genocide in Darfur, the murders of the Beijing University students a decade ago, and the brutal repression of its people and of both Taiwan and Tibet among an endless laundry list of oppression, brutality, and corruption.

The last 150 years of the planet? Oh, you mean the ones where the Great Leap Forward, the Cultural Revolution, the Tiananmen Square Massacre, the Thousand Flowers Campaign, and the inadvertent slaughter of millions of innocent peasants because of communal "smelters" where people had to melt their tools to make WEAPONS FOR THE GOVERNMENT and starved to death all took place? The Chinese government should be charged with just as many counts of war crimes, murder, and obstruction to justice.

I'd rant on but I'm afraid the thousands of human censors in Beijing would intercept my message and make me disappear overnight. Perhaps I'll end up as a "violent Tibetan separatist protestor" who was killed in self-defense after he assaulted an unarmed Chinese border guard. Yeah, that's it.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
    ysabel and viLky like this.

2. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

Well you can't say the U.S. isn't a blatant hypocrisy in the way we act.

3. Vidic15

Vidic15 No Custom Title Exists V.I.P. Lifetime

Can I have the two minutes of my life back please..

4. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Keep on posting so we'll know you're not in jail or that you're still alive.

5. Punkster

Punkster New Member

they were the two most oppositely biased things i've ever read! :)

here's my opinion. I think the Chinese government has made mistakes in the past such as the Cultural Revolution, but at least they acknowledge it and try to make sure it doesn't happen again.

as for the "4000 students" being "run over", I don't think there is any hard evidence to support this claim about the numbers and whether they were all actually "student" deaths. According to the Tienanmen Square protesters, yes, they would have claimed "4000 students" died, logically they would exaggerate the numbers to gain sympathy. On the other hand, the Chinese government say that only 200-300 people were killed and most of them were "armed thugs". The government would obviously want to keep figures lower.

"Sadly the big blue earth is NOT big enough" - which is why the government introduced the One Child Policy. If it wasn't in place, then the country's population probably would have been much larger and poverty would probably have been much more prominent.

I'm a British born Chinese living in the UK, and i would like to bring up the question of whether other countries are in the right position to criticize China with its domestic problems. No country in the world is perfect, but at least China is improving. China has had a history of almost being "bullied" by other countries. As named by Chinese themselves, the nineteenth century was a "century of humiliation and shame". Is it so wrong now that China is becoming stronger? Most of the criticism seems to be coming from the USA, the country which invaded Iraq. Have weapons of mass destruction been found? - no. they claim that Saddam Hussein was oppressing Iraqi people, but after the take-over, there are still deaths everyday caused by the presence of American and British troops. The USA hasn't exactly been best friends with China in the past, what with the Korean and Vietnam War, and the Tibetan events involving the Dalai Lama.

Just because a country is becoming more modernized, it doesn't necessarily mean it has to develop like the Western countries have. Perhaps a stricter control over one-fifth of the world's population is necessary to keep the country together. The last thing the Chinese government would want, and a favourable outcome for the USA, would be if China became destabilized and all its individual provinces demanded independance. For the USA that would mean no more rivalry, just like what happened with the Soviet Union.

If we are not careful with, i think there will be another Cold War, and i'd hate to live, stuck in the middle between two sides in conflict with each other.

6. James901

James901 New Member

To mermaidboy,

I'm quite appaled by your opinions. In fact, I made an account on this forum just to post a reply.

You said, "this piece of seeming propaganda makes no sense and is completely fallacious." I would completely disagree and furthermore clarify that this poem is a justified reaction to the blatantly ignorant mainstream media. Note: I'm not defending the Chinese government, nor am I saying that the Chinese government is not culpable for crimes. All I'm saying, is that this poem should not be labeled as "propoganda" and simply disregarded.

The poem is saying, no matter what China does, the media will never be satisfied. As progressive as China is trying to become, it seems as if the only way for us to gain the West's approval is by falling in line with the submissive Chinaman stereotype.

The merits of this poem lay in presenting you "the other perspective." Something which I'm quite certain you sorely lack. As "international" as you claim to be, I'm guessing you get all of your news from heavily-biased Western media sources. You probably only have an elementary grasp of the Chinese language which prevents you from accessing objective pro-China articles written by critical-thinking Chinese.

Maybe its the culmination of these factors that makes you so blind.

Go study Chinese history beyond a shallow high-school "Asian Studies" course. Go familiarize yourself with the concepts of Orientalism and "Otherness." Then come back here and post something of fucking value.

7. john6489

john6489 New Member

you are just the mouth of CCP, the dictator liar.

Yes, may be our tiananmen students survival is telling lies, how about lunch an international investigation to prove ,that there is no tanks run over students or chinese, no one killed in Tiananmen square as your lord has told the world?

8. saintmatt2301

saintmatt2301 Registered Member

Guys should i feel guilty ?

I gave up reading after the second paragraph.

9. ValentinSelezynov

ValentinSelezynov Registered Member

My fiance is of Chinese descent. I like to think that if China does become the next superpower, i'll be safe from having to work in a mine because of this.

10. mermaidboy

mermaidboy Registered Member

I would like to challenge those so strongly opposed to my views to provide me with one shred of evidence that the Chinese government has not directly or indirectly slaughtered its own citizens in the last hundred years. I won’t go back any further than that because then there would be no point challenging you.

The precise point is that it doesn’t take a rocket scientist or political expert to see and note the crimes against humanity that the Chinese government has committed in past years. My argument is not based on opinion. When I say that 4,000 students were run over by tanks in Tiananmen Square, that’s because there is empirical evidence and the benefit of hindsight to support this fact. It is also a fact that the Chinese government, under flawed leadership, purged intellectuals under communist rule.

Tell me, to my face, that the Chinese government has not inadvertently killed over 50 million peasant farmers due to its attempts at agricultural collectivization and faulty (but enforced) farming practices. For some, this data might be all a rational person needs to know when judging the CCP. Be thankful I know more than that.

Take note that in few other nations throughout history would such failures have been allowed to go without widespread political upheaval. Once again with the benefit of looking back upon history, we see that popular revolutions, most notably in Russia and France, deposed incompetent governments. The CCP has managed to retain its hold on power for several reasons, not the least of which is xenophobia.

Chinese xenophobia and paranoia of other cultures can be blamed squarely on the humiliations of the Chinese people at the hands of the Imperial West and Japan during the Opium War and then World War II, respectively. In that sense, the Chinese people cannot be blamed for retreating so far into their shells, especially with their own government constantly reminding them of past suffering to maintain their own legitimacy. Isn’t it funny how nobody ever talks about the Hundred Flowers Campaign or the Cultural Revolution, which have done just as much damage to the Chinese?

It is true that the Chinese have to break out of their weak stereotype. They just need to know the proper way of doing it, and that does not involve splashing nationalism all over the place and boycotting French supermarkets. The Chinese need to earn their place in world affairs as a cultured and civilized people, and the hysterics surrounding the torch run have probably harmed this process more than aided it. Instead of being told by the government that France is screwing China, the Chinese should ask themselves WHY the rest of the world is so opposed to China in the first place. And let me tell you, it’s not jealousy. China has a low GDP per capita, so this isn’t about individuals necessarily.

The Chinese people should be lauded for their rapid industrialization and resourcefulness; there’s no denying that they have become a major player on the international stage. It’s fair to say that with increased privatization in recent years as well as a stock exchange open to the public, that China is on its way to a fully market-based economy, and that the Communist Party’s days of power are coming to an end because it is simply losing relevance. The Chinese don’t want ideological drivel. It’s very obvious seeing the many industrious individuals in the companies I have interned for that they want better lives and respect, and who are we to deny them these things?

One cannot blindly lambaste Western news sources as “biased” without looking at Chinese ones. I can’t even access the BBC’s website and Internet censorship doesn’t help this argument either.

Let me rephrase my stand on China, which was not clear in my previous post: I have immense respect for the Chinese people and their history, but they are often ignorant of their own national history, of their government, and of other governments and cultures. They are, however, innocent of these shortcomings. The Chinese government is to blame because it has failed to shed its Maoist trappings and is not forthright with its people, and would rather suppress dissent with violent force as opposed to honesty and openness. To the CCP, power does indeed “grow out the barrel of a gun,” and until change is brought by the Chinese people, no progress can be made. It's just too bad some people are too clouded by their own uninformed cultural beliefs to see that.

------
    At least the Americans have freedom of demonstration and have been very vocal about their dissatisfaction with the war in Iraq (which is generally accepted to have been a grave mistake), whether it be through protests, polls, online editorials, or other mediums. I'd like to see that happen in China.

I say this at the risk of sounding pretentious, but I have researched the subject extensively in both English and Chinese, taken a full year of AP Comparative Government and Politics, know the Chinese political system and its history like the back of my freakin hand, and experienced the censorship and oppression of the CCP firsthand. CNN has blacked out on me countless times, most recently in regards to Tibet and the torch run. I have spoken to Chinese university students as well as members of the workforce (both Caucasian and Chinese) during my internships. I may only be a junior in high school, but that doesn't mean you should discount my opinion because facts are facts. I have lived in both California and Shanghai for years and have seen both sides of the story and as with many things, there is often a side that is more correct. And I am better informed than most to discern that.

Last edited: May 19, 2008