A Series of Political Discissions

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have talked to Kaz about having a series of organized political discussions throughout the next several weeks. We will do 6 threads, 1 thread a week for 6 weeks, finishing up just in time for the November election.

The top issues in the US 2008 election according to the AP are as follows.

1. Foreign Policy / War on Terror
2. Health Care Reform
3. Abortion
4. Fiscal Policy
5. Gay Marriage
6. Separation of Church and State

This is according to:

Most Important Voting Issues for 2008 Election: Survey Results - Associated Content

The rules of participating in these threads will be simple.

1. These will NOT be debates but they will follow a set format. The goal of these discussions will be to find a common ground. The goal will not be to bash other people's views or slam other people personally. If you are firm and your mind is made up on a particular issue, just say so. Ideally we can all find something to agree about on many issues, at least in principle.

2. These threads will follow a set format. Kaz and I will come up with a set of initial questions for each issue. Each participant will answer said questions, followed by anything they would like to add on the current issue. Open replies (replies not requested by a moderator) will not be allowed. You will have your chance to post your thoughts on other people's responses but you will have to wait for the green light.

3. After about 5 days, a moderator will call for members to make their concluding statement(s), stating what parts of others' opinions they understand or have learned from.

--------

You don't have to participate in all 6 threads if you don't want to. More widespread participation will lead to better discussions however.

[red]To take part in these discussions you will have to join the Political group I've set up on THIS PAGE. This way we can hold these discussions in a sub forum and keep newbies or non participants from interrupting and throwing off the flow.[/red]

If you are interested in taking part in these threads, please rank the above 6 issues in order of importance for you personally. You don't have to post your rank publicly but you should keep it in mind for the upcoming threads.

The first thread will be posted next Monday. We will start with #6 and work our way up to the #1 issue for American voters by the last week.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
No, it's not a rep war group so you don't have to leave the Pirates. You should be able to join it the same was as the roll play group works.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Um... do you see a group called Politics group? It's there. :D
------
I know there are others here who probably missed this. Who else wants in?

Last edited:

Sim

Registered Member
I'd like to participate. I've already joined the politics group. Anything else I need to do?

I find all of the topics interesting and I have many ideas, except for the health care topic. I'm not really into the details of the American health care system, so I guess I can't really contribute much.
------
Where can I find the first thread?

Last edited:

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Are non-Americans allowed or would you rather keep the group discussion to more accurately reflect "US voters issues"?