• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

A real life "Matrix" virtual world?

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Ever since watching the movie "The Matrix", I've wondered if something like that could actually be done. I don't expect it to be possible in our lifetime, however, you never know. Technology is advancing extremely quickly these days.

I was making a post about videogames in the future and started to think about this again. If computers are ever able to fully duplicate nerve signals to our brains, every human sense could essentially be duplicated, and it could actually be possible to "trick" our brains into honestly thinking we are in situations that we are not.

I don't know how people would actually be able to hook into such a machine, device, computer, or whatever it would be, but I do think it will eventually be possible. I don't really see why technology WON'T be going this way at one point.

The limits would be near endless if such a system were ever created.

And I'm just talking about the technology to do a full virtual reality simulation. Putting everybody in the world, or even a large portion of it into such a system is perhaps a bit far fetched. That might just be something for the movies. The technology, on the other hand, is not something I believe is impossible to do.

Teorropy

I don't know, being religious, I don't believe God would allow it to go that far. You are taking away the humans free will, and I don't think God will put up with that. Especially by machines.

Psyco

Food Whore
I've had that idea before aswell. I have to pose the question though, how do we know we aren't ALREADY in one of those things?

honestly, the idea of a living matrix like in the movies is a bit far off in the future. We'd need to create self evolving computer programs

Hi_Im_Tim

I am Heavy Weapons Guy
I think that the technology to create a virtual world like the Matrix will be available in the next 25 years or so, but I highly doubt that Machines are going to take over the world, and place all humans in this virtual world.

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
I think if one were ever created, it would almost have to be run by real people. But look at it this way, we could all fly to work, or not even work at all. It would get quite boring I think.

Psyco

Food Whore
We wouldn't really be able to do anything more that what we can do now. The people in the matrix didn't realize they were inside of it, and just went about thier normal lives as if they were living in this day and age.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
It's an interesting argument you bring up Psyco. If you paid attention to the movie you probably also caught the fact that "We believe we are living in the year 1999. Actually, it seems were actually living in the year 2199. So assume it takes 200 years to develop such a system. I think it's actually possible. Who's to say it wouldn't make more sense to start the system off in an age where technology was just beginning to boom instead of the current age.

I realize this is probably a totally pointless discussion but I do find the whole idea of a virtual world very interesting. Even for future movies unrelated to the Matrix.

Psyco

Food Whore
The only problem is that there really isn't any way to figure out if the world we are living in is actually what it seems, or if it was just a "programed world" like the matrix. (or for that matter, how do i prove that other people actually exist, and that this world hasn't been made up by my own imagination?)

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well I think you are taking it a bit far to even bring up the real possibility that we are actually IN the Matrix.. I think it's fairly safe to say that is not true.

Although at times it would be a nice explanation for various things that happen in the world that are unexpected, unbelievable, etc.