a question for car people who would know.

Discussion in 'Autos' started by Ant On A Log, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Ant On A Log

Ant On A Log Guest

do you actually save gas if you let your car coast in neutral if you have an automatic transmission? someone told me today that it really doesn't save gas whereas a standard transmission does.

why the difference between the two? and why does it make a difference, if any, in the amount of fuel being consumed?

2. Pugz

Pugz Ms. Malone V.I.P. Lifetime

The ammount of money you save depends on how many miles you do and how fast you do it, it also depends on the air intake ratio/how many intake valves there are and how big the combustion cylinder is.

I don't put my car in neutral unless i'm parked up for a minute, it soulds like a stupid idea and is probably bad for the gearbox.

3. Ant On A Log

Ant On A Log Guest

but people with standard transmissions do it all the time (putting it in neutral and then shifting back into gear to get a little more speed) why is there such a difference between that and my automatic transmission?

4. Sephy

Sephy Forum Drifter

Because being in neutral the engine has no resistance on it like it would if it were in gear. This takes the stress off the engine and makes it so it doesn't have to work as hard, which consumes less fuel. It probably won't make a very noticeable difference but there are quite a few people who do it. The street near my house is on a steep incline, and I can start at the top of the hill, get to 40mph, take it out of gear, and coast the entire mile to my neighborhood. I don't really do it to save gas though. It's just fun to do lol. Plus I floor it enough and do enough burnouts etc, etc, that it doesn't matter what I do, I won't be saving any gas haha.

5. Pugz

Pugz Ms. Malone V.I.P. Lifetime

You yanks drive weird, never known a brit to do that.

6. Sephy

Sephy Forum Drifter

I doubt it would do any harm to the gearbox.

7. Hoosier_Daddy

Hoosier_Daddy Registered Member

You might save a few pennies, but the money you'll spend on repairing or replacing your transmission because you're doing this will far outweigh the savings.

Hoosier.

8. Sephy

Sephy Forum Drifter

Well I could see how doing it would maybe save a few pennies from fuel consumption but not because it harms the transmission. I think it would actually do the opposite. By leaving it in gear you are using the transmission, thereby actually causing normal wear and tear, but by putting it in neutral you aren't using the transmisson, technically saving you repairs. Even though it wouldn't be a noticeable diffrerence.

9. Hoosier_Daddy

Hoosier_Daddy Registered Member

I'm not a mechanic, so I could be way off here, but is it really a good idea to shift an automatic transmission in and out of gear when the car is moving?

Hoosier.

10. Sephy

Sephy Forum Drifter

Well taking it out of gear does no harm, and when you go to put it back in gear, it selects the proper gear and does not jam it in to gear. It is operating within normal boundaries and shouldn't do any harm to the transmission.