• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

A pitcher as their most iconic player?

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
I am confident that we can all agree that "every day" players such as Babe Ruth for the Yankees, Ted Williams for the Red Sox and Stan Musial for the Cardinals are the most iconic players in the history of each of those teams.

Which major league teams have as their most iconic players a pitcher (and why, if you wish)?

willge87

Registered Member
There aren't too many. I've thought through the 30 MLB teams and have come up with the following:

Philadelphia Phillies--Steve Carlton
Arizona Diamondbacks--Randy Johnson (possibly)
Tampa Bay Rays--David Price

I'd definitely say that the D'backs franchise player is Randy Johnson. However, I think Mike Schmidt is definitely the Phil's icon. The only name I can add is Walter Johnson of the Senators. The change in franchise has diminished his relevance, though. For defunct teams, Old Hoss Radbourn essentially represents the Providence Grays.

And of course, Lee Richmond of the Worcester Ruby Legs ( :D )

BJBirdy

Registered Member
For me, the Blue Jays of my generation have Roy Halladay as their most iconic player. Why? Because quite frankly, he's been the best player for the Jays over the past 20 years having won a Cy Young award and having been in multiple all-star games.

StroShow

V.I.P.
I'm still trying to come up with an intelligent answer but what about Sandy Koufax? Yes, Jackie Robinson broke the colour barrier but that's what he's known for rather than playing for the Dodgers. Just a thought to think about.

DarrylMHB

Tom Seaver for the Mets and Roy Halladay for the Jays are two.

StroShow

V.I.P.
I don't think Roy Halladay is the most iconic player the Blue Jays ever had. Even though he only played five seasons in Toronto, it as to be Roberto Alomar. Five unforgettable seasons with two World Series win, a key hit off Dennis Eckersly and highlight reel plays everytime he took the field.