A nation of sheep

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by pro2A, Dec 23, 2008.

1. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

Kudos to the person who can find the line that pisses me off the most in this story.

Pizza Deliveryman Shoots Would-Be Robber - Pittsburgh News Story - WTAE Pittsburgh

2. PentaCube

PentaCube Registered Member

3. pro2A

That was quick, but you are correct. Either way no matter who is wrong or right, the person on the muzzle end of the gun is the "victim".

Have we really become this complacent as a nation?

4. PentaCube

PentaCube Registered Member

i think we have, but on a more serious note, where is the sheep you promised me sir? Those things are adorable.

5. pro2A

Go Google sheep, look in images... and there is your prize :lol:

6. Stab-o-Matic5000

Stab-o-Matic5000 Cutting Edge in Murder

I also like how they say "would-be" robber instead of just robber. Dude was going to rob the pizza delivery man. That makes him a robber, i.e., a guy who robs people. Throwing would-be in front of it takes the edge of the fact that the guy was a criminal.

The "would-be" robber better be arrested and tried, no matter what happens to the pizza delivery driver.

7. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

If he never successfully robbed anyone, then he's only a would-be robber. Just like if someone tries out for the NBA, and doesn't make it, they aren't a pro basketball player - they're a would-be professional basketball player.

8. PretzelCorps

PretzelCorps Registered Member

I suspect the bias of the article would depend on the bias of the media outlet printing said article...

Did the "would-be robber" have a gun of his own pointed at the pizzaman?

If he did, then fuck you "would-be robber".

9. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

If he didn't want to get shot then he should've tried not robbing or attempting to rob the dude.

10. Stab-o-Matic5000

Stab-o-Matic5000 Cutting Edge in Murder

That's just semantics though. I'm not arguing the definitions involved, I'm merely pointing out that the addition of would-be takes off some of the edge. They could have easily went with attempted robber. Saying would-be robber kind of makes it sound like "Oh, well he didn't ACTUALLY rob anyone." The way you word things goes a long way to determine how people read them. The phrase "violent showdown" is also a very negative phrase. Considering there is no mention of whether the attempted robber was armed or not, the phrase can conjure an image of senseless brutality.

Bonus fact: Attempted robber received only non-lethal injuries. Not reported in the article quoted.

For an example of how this article SHOULD have been written, read this one: McKees Rocks deliveryman shoots attempted robber: police - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review