A machine that turns plastic into oil

Discussion in 'Science & History' started by Wade8813, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010

2. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

That's great! Then we can make it back into plastic again.

3. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

It's not very surprising considering plastic is made from oil in the first place. Yet another thing we run out of if we run out of oil.

4. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

We will run out of petroleum within decades, unless the world stops using it. But that's not to say that we ever have to run out of oil or plastic.

Hemp Plastic ::

5. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

Here's a company that makes oil from swine poop and wood chips: Rentech, Inc. Home Page Based on the German's Fischer–Tropsch process. Unfortunately, it just takes a lot of energy to create energy from such sources.

6. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

We can make combustible oil out of other substances. A lot of plastic is already made from other substances/mixtures of chemicals.

I love that they can turn plastic back into oil now. Imagine how much waste this will save once (if?) the machine is put into recycling plants.

7. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

Man, the Japanese do think of everything.

Sounds like it's a pretty efficient way of converting trash back into oil. If he can start making bigger machines to do this, maybe there will eventually be no need for oil drilling and plastic trash will become a valuable commodity. That'd be a nice turn of events.

8. MisterT

MisterT Registered Member

LMAO on a sad note I am sure BP want this

9. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

Why would BP want it? They need more stuff to remove oil from water not oil from plastic.

10. faith1806

faith1806 Registered Member

lol, the machine that turns plastic into oil is wonderful, but i do not think the Scientist can make it.