A.L Gold Glove winners

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Babe_Ruth, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

2. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

Adam Jones and Derek Jeter were bad choices

Everyone else makes sense

3. Babe_Ruth

Did you watch lots of Adam Jones and Derek Jeter this season? Jeter had one of his best years defensively. His range was outstanding.

Adam Jones had nine outfield assists, his Fielding Percentage was .986 and only commited five errors.

Who would you replace these two guys with?

4. Millz

I'll back off Jones if he had that many assists. I wasn't aware of that. And I dont have anybody to put in there, lol.

But yeah, The gold glove is a popularity contest that barely takes actual defense into account. Jeter lead all AL shortstops in fielding percentage...probably because he can't get to half the balls hit near him.

How about Marco Scutaro? He's the forgotten man, but he made only 10 errors in 621 chances during the 2009 season. Jeter made just eight, but only had 554 chances in five more games played than Scutaro. The difference in attempts is one of the reasons I would give the nod to Scutaro. I think the difference is due to Jeter’s decreased range and lack of ability to get to balls that other shortstops, like Scutaro, can get a their glove on. That increased range makes for more chances, and therefore more errors. The bottom line is that you can’t make an error on a ball you can’t touch, so Scutaro shouldn’t be penalized for having just two more errors when he possesses so much better range than Jeter.

Jeter gets brownie points for his past history...and probably because he became the all-time hits leader in Yankee history this year. Its stupid, but that crap IS taken into account when this idiot writers pick the winners. Elvis Andrus gets an honorable mention, as well.

5. Babe_Ruth

I watched every Blue Jays game this year so I had the chance to watch Scutaro all season long, he was great defensively, he made some plays that I didn't think he was capable of doing. But his range wasn't all that great, Jeter's range is far more superior than Scutaro.

Also there were a lot of times that Scutaro should of made the out but he didn't and was lucky that it wasn't called an error.

I do agree with you that he gets brownie points, but he's been better defensively then he has for the past few seasons.

I also agree with you with Elvis Andrus, he was amazing defensively, same with Aybar.

The funny thing I've been reading on blog replies about the selections is people saying that Teixera shouldn't of won the award. Now that's hilarious... he's only made four errors this season, that's unbelievable.

6. Millz

Jeter's range, like his defense, is very much overrated.

Teixeira might have been the easiest selection. Those people are just haters...even I can agree that he was the easy winner at first base. That's ridiculous haha.