A genuine German neo-Nazi Party!

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Sim, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Sim

Sim Registered Member

Hey, maybe some of you might be interested in learning what Nazis (I don't mean "Nazis" like Bush, or conservatives, no, genuine Nazis!) are doing today.

So I thought you might be interested to learn something about the National-Democratic Party of Germany (NPD).

[​IMG]

They also have a website.

As you may have noticed, the colors of their symbols are black-white-red, the old anti-democratic colors of the German flag under the Kaiser and the Nazis, and not black-red-gold (as you would expect from patriots supporting the German Republic).

Another interesting picture that jumps to the eye when looking at their website is this one:

[​IMG]

While Germany in it's current borders is in white, there is a dark shadow to the east, describing the German borders of 1939, including annexed Austria and parts of Czechoslovakia and Poland.

So much for the very first impression.

So what do they think? Let's have a look into their party platform.

I'll pick some excerpts:

Basic Ideas

Quote:
    The concepts and positions from the post-war time are no longer useful. The unification of the two states of BRD and DDR [West and East Germany], the downfall of the communist system, the migratory movements to and within Europe, the metamorphosis from an industrial to a service society and the growing doubts about the dominating materialism have evoked new questions. New answers are necessary. The dominating classes in politics and society are trying to continue the old ways no matter the cost. Change, if perceived at all, is only considered as a disturbance for their worldview. With a growing lack of understanding, the established forces are wondering that they are losing the loyalty of the people. Their only idea for a solution is the "multicultural society" -- by exchanging the people, the dominating classes are trying to preserve their power.

In contrast to that, we National Democrats strife for exchanging the powerful, in order to give the German People a future within the frame of the European family of peoples.

We National Democrats stand consequently against outmoded ideologies of past centuries, against utopias of enlightment and the against multiethnic excesses the German People is exposed to these days.

With a right idea of man, we stand against foreign rule, against foreign infiltration, exploitation and oppression, for German freedom, freedom of the peoples, for a social rearrangement in Germany according to our idea of man.

(...)

Culture and Family

Quote:
    Folklore and culture are the basis for human dignity. Because of that, the state, which has the responsibility to protect human dignity, has to take responsibility for the people.

The peoples are the medias of culture. Peoples differ in regards of language, origin, historical experience, religion, moral convictions and conscience. An awareness for their cultural originality grows within a people whenever their culture is endangered. Protection of the people has the purpose of protecting culture. Mere societies don't develop a culture, but a materialistic worldview at best. "Multicultural" societies actually are philistine societies without any culture. The plurality of the peoples has to be protected.

(...)

The smallest unit within our people is the family. Because of that, the state has to take special care for it. Family has to be preferred over all other forms of community life. National Democrats oppose any kinf of "self-fulfillment" which threatens any form of community with its' limitless egoism. (...) Family is the medium of biological heritage. A people that allows family to be destroyed or losing strength will fall, because there is no healthy people without healthy families. (...)

The State

Quote:
    There is no democracy without community of the people. Political organisations have to be structured for the purpose of allowing organs that act in accordance with the basic goals of the people. The state has to stand above the egoism of particular groups, taking responsibility for the whole. The possibility to exchange governments by democratic decisions, control of the governing politicians by the people and control of the lawfulness of their decisions have to be the basis for our constitutional order. There must be no areas without law. (...)

Employment and Economy

Quote:
    (...) Every German has the right on employment. Jobs have to be distributed to Germans first. Men and Women have to be treated equally, according to the principle of efficiency. (...)

The NPD opposes the systematical internationalization of national economies, as practized by the capitalist order. This globalisation of the economy is based on the wrong and outdated goal of a maximal exploitation of earth, by creating economic mono-cultures according to the so called "law of comparative advantages". The NPD also opposes the globalisation of German economy because it has caused mass unemployment. (...)

National Democratic social policies are obliged to the weak within ouzr society. Foreigners have not to participate in our social systems. There must be no right on German money for asylum seekers. (...)

"Germany has to Become German Once Again!"

Quote:
    In cooperation of capitalists, government and unions, millions of foreigners have been called to Germany, like slaves in the modern time. This policy is being continued by a policy of integration, which is most inhumane and dangerous for the peoples. Foreigners as well as Germans are being enstranged from their homes and deracinated, their identities are being endangered up to the destruction of families. In numerous cities there are ghettos of foreigners, where the remaining German population has become a minority in their own country. Life in these quarters, school education and social environment have become unbearable. Germans and members of foreign peoples become increasingly hostile towards each other. Because of that development, national peace is in danger.

A radical political change has to put an end to the inhumane policy of "integration" in order to preserve the substance of the German people. The right on a livable future, the right of all peoples on self-determination and the right on cultural and national identity have to be preferred over unconditional and one-sided strife for profit. The members of other peoples, who are temporarily employed in Germany, have to be given the chance to preserve their cultural and national identity. This would make a return to their home countries easier.

Germany's Borders

Quote:
    The reconstruction of Germany is not complete with the unification of the two occupational constructions BRD [Federal Republic of Germany] and DDR [East-Germany]. Germany is greater than the current Federal Republic! (...)

Injustice can never be the basis for a permanent peace between the peoples. (...) The unconditional surrender of German territories, which violates our history and international law, must never be accepted. We demand a solution that allows a permanent peace.

States are in a process of finding a new order. Germany has to push for a peaceful policy of a reunification in it's historically grown borders, in accordance with international law and the treaty of Helsinki. In the meantime, there is the obligation to help millions of Germans from the abandoned territories to preserve their German culture and their national identity.

Against a Falsification of History

Quote:
    For the sake of our future, Germany needs a national interpretation of history that celebrates the continuity of our people. We fight against the moral self-extinction of our nation by a one-sided acknowledgment of guilt, the acceptance of treason and the glorification of Allies war criminals! For the protection of the honor of the German people, we demand:

- A ban on a falsification of history to the disadvantage of Germany.

- An end to the one-sided view on the past. We Germans are not a people of criminals.

- Our former enemies have to admit that the intentional bombardment on German civil population, the murder and dislocation of millions of German civilians after the war, were war crimes that have to be punished, even today.

- The state must not violate the freedom of science by propagating a wrong image of history, and there has to be an end to the politically biased justice system that supervises this image of history to the disadvantage of Germany.

--------------

Ok, that's their program. Don't forget that they have most likely watered down their ideology in order not to be banned.

How influencial is the NPD?

In the last national election in 2005, the NPD won 1.6% of the votes, which is ca. 750,000 votes -- no seats in the parliament.

The NPD is present with MPs in only two out of the 16 parliaments of the German federal states, in Saxony, where they won 9.2% of the votes in september 2004, and in Mecklenburg, where they won 7.3% in 2006. In all other states, they are well below 5%.

They have caused an eclat by calling the allied bombings in WW2 "a holocaust".

Here their election results in German states:

link

And some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bjarki likes this.

2. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

oh really....

Anyway, it sounds like they can get along well with our Front National. :)

You didn't write about them much in the other thread (5-party system). Is it because they didn't have a seat in the parliament?

3. Bjarki

Bjarki Registered Member

There was a short docu on Dutch TV about the NPD yesterday. Pretty disturbing stuff.

It showed that some parts of eastern Germany were pretty much no-go areas for foreigners. It portrayed a Turkish Kebab-bar in Dresden which had its windows thrown in 6 times and the last time half the restaurant was set in flames by a molotov-cocktail.. Sick stuff.

I think it's a very interesting phenomenon. Not because I praise the existence of these parties, but it's interesting to see who votes for these parties and why. When I look at the party program it seems to incorporate a whole spectrum of ideas that attracts different kinds of groups of people:

- There's the 'revanchist' ideology focusing on WW2, the allied bombings and the loss of territory (I'm actually surprised they want to claim Prussia because as far as I know hardly any Germans live there anymore, which I guess further proves their irrational aggressive stance). I think this 'ideology' attracts mostly pure nazists and extreme right skinheads.

- Secondly there's the communist facet of it. Anti-globalist, anti-free market, etc., which I'm sure does very well in East Germany, where the free market like in other former communist states didn't quite bring the mountains of gold they expected of it. These states have been strong homogeneous societies for the past 50 years with a strong emphasis on comradeship and self-sacrifice for the 'greater ideal'. They lack a strong belief in democracy and for some reason Auschwitz has never made the same impression there as in the west as antisemitism continued to thrive.

- And finally there's the more modern and moderate conservative ideas focusing on the excesses of mass immigration and the multicultural society, much the same as they are in Holland. And I suppose these ideas have the potential to become very popular (as we can see in the 'I hate to sound racist ...'-thread).

I think that when these ideas are distributed among separate parties they have the potential to bring about radical changes in German politics. It will probably cause the marginalization of the nazist and neo-communist movement and on the other hand the rapid growth of a large Fortuyn-like party in East and West. Whether that is a blessing I don't know.
    For the moment the Nazist ideals keep these ideas hostage (not many Germans wish to associate themselves with such a party..) and thus small and insignificant. On the other hand, they do reinforce the extreme right and make it look like Nazism is popular among a not totally insignificant portion of the population, when in reality it isn't. Just like how in the Netherlands most people who vote Wilders don't really hate the Muslims, but have no real alternative when it comes to criticizing the 'ruling elite'.

Sim likes this.
  4. Sim

Sim Registered Member

Probably I don't know as much about the Front National as about the NPD, but I'd say the NPD is even more extreme. They are not just xenophobes, but real authoritarian nuts who want to replace the democratic system with a kind of dictatorship, if given the chance. Also, there are many genuine Nazis among them, the real deal. I mean Le Pen may be a racist nut, but I guess even he would not praise Adolf Hitler on national TV (or Petain, for that matter), as one NPD member did recently.

But the demographics voting for them are probably similar.

Yes. Fortunately, this party is not relevant force in German politics (yet... and I hope this stays that way).

They win 1.x% maximum in national elections, way too few to jump above the 5% hurdle to win representation in the parliament, and that also is the case in most German states. So they have no influence on coalition building, or even a chance of becoming part of the government.

They scored several success d'estimes in East Germany, though, by entering two state parliaments (Saxony and Mecklenburg, with 9.2% and 7.3% respectively). Their stronghold is the south east German state of Saxony, where they got half of all their members Germany-wide.

In east Germany, voters are generally much more volatile than in the West, traditional party affiliations are much lower and all problems (from unemployment to economy) are worse than in the west. Additionally, there is not a strong, decades-old democratic tradition yet, only 19 years ago, people still lived under authoritarian rule.

All these reasons likely play a role for the NPD's limited success in east Germany. I think it's almost impossible for the NPD to get a foot in the door to west Germany, which is a much larger portion of our country (80% of the Germans live in the West, 20% in the East only).

Because of that, their influence is minimal and limited to a few east German regions only, so far. On national level, I don't see they have any realistic chance for the time being, which is why I didn't mention them before.

5. fleinn

fleinn 101010

:shifteyes: ouch.. that's still a lot, imo.

How influential do you think they are? Example - with the entire "should or should not humanise Hitler and the Nazi- party" debate going.. Are they influential enough to make it a point for "moderates" not to take that debate further - since it might be seen as a way to legitimise the party?

6. Sim

Sim Registered Member

Indeed ... some areas in east Germany, especially small towns in rural areas, are very much dominated by neo-Nazi subculture, especially among young people. They are actually declaring "nationally liberated zones", their euphemism for areas their gangs are controlling, where they have more people on the streets than there are policemen, which have become no-go areas for foreigners and alternative/left-looking people.

It still is a problem, by I think the situation is slightly improving. By the end of the 90s, it was worse than it is today, as far as I know.

Yes, I absolutely agree with your analysis, you've hit the nail right on the head. Most of their voters probably don't belong to the first category, but vote for the NPD out of a mix of reason two and three.

As for category two, there also is the Left Party which, fortunately, sucks up many of the eastern voters frustrated with the new economic and political system, the "eastalgia" demographic. I mean I'm not a fan of the Left Party, but at least they respect the democratic system and may play a constructive role, so I'd rather see frustrated voters voting for them, than for a genuinely fascist Nazi party such as the NPD.

And yes, the opinions in category three may become popular; demographic experts estimate their potential of between 15% and 20% of the voters. Most of them are probably still alienated by the NPD due to their unveiled sympathy for Nazism, their contacts to neo-Nazi thugs and their "outcast"-image -- but if a new party managed to distance itself from radical Nazism and had a charismatic leader, it may very well appeal to this demographic. Probably many of these frustrated xenophobes still vote for the Left Party, although they disagree with their liberal and progressive stances when it comes to immigration, just to give "the established parties a kick in the nuts".

There are other far-right/right-populist parties in Germany, but despite occasional regionally limited success, they haven't managed to achieve an important role yet.

For example, the Ronald-Schill-Party in Hamburg, which ran on a right-populist law-and-order and anti-immigrant platform, while clearly distancing itself from Nazism.

Or the Republican Party (yes! we have them in Germany too! ;)), which is very conservative, xenophobic and right-populist, yes refuses to cooperate with the NPD, because they don't want to get a Nazi-image. They managed to enter a few state parliaments in the late 80s and early 90s, but were always elected out of the parliaments again after one term.

Now it's the Left Party, which has been rising since 2005, which sucks up the "anti-establishment vote". It used to be an eastern regional party, but has managed to enter four out of 10 west German state parliaments; it is catching up. They attract many frustrated voters who feel abandoned by the established parties.

Probably many of their voters might vote for a far-right party, if the Left Party didn't offer them an alternative. In these regards, I am glad the Left Party serves as a "lightning rod", because they are much more reasonable and frightening than any of the far-right/right-populist nut parties.
    ------
    Agreed, it's still too much.

I'm not entirely sure I understand you correctly. But the situation in Germany is very special -- the mainstream is, maybe reasonably, maybe overreacting, very sensitive when it comes to anything that even remotely resembles Nazis and rejects it. That's why the moment someone says something mildly xenophobic, there are soon "Nazi!" outcries. Even relatively moderate right-populist parties have been instantly labelled "Nazi" and thus never became successful, no matter how much they tried to distance themselves from Nazism.

That's why the NPD has the status of an outcast -- maybe 85% or 90% of the population consider them the embodiment of evil and support a ban on that party.

Of course, this ties its supporters even closer to the party, and they spin conspiracy theories about a kind of "Jewish political correctness police" being after them, as proof the "system media is brainwashing the people" and so on. They simply don't understand 80%+ of the people don't even need brainwashing to reject Nazism.

As for mainstream discussions -- when, for example, the conservative CDU proposed a man as culture minister in one state who had published articles in a far-right newspaper, that was reason enough for the mainstream to start a shitstorm of outrage: "the CDU wants to nominate a Nazi to watch over our children". The CDU has to retract this man. And this although he wasn't even a Nazi, just a deeply conservative man who made the mistake of once publishing in a paper where borderline Nazis occasionally publish too.

When there is a crime seemingly motivated by far-right opinions, like a manhunt by 50 locals on half a dozen Indian people last year in Mügeln (Saxony), that becomes a major topic. The yellow press too is rallying against the alleged "Nazi town", giving it a bad image.

I don't think the NPD is influential enough to change this general anti-Nazi mainstream.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  7. fleinn

fleinn 101010

*nods*

..that's what I wondered - if they can effectively shut off debate on some topics by just saying something about it. I mean - then they're influential, to some extent.

8. Sim

Sim Registered Member

The NPD is too radical and too deeply trapped in their outcast-image to do that.

Demography experts have found the potential for far-right opinions is at about 15% (although the criteria for measuring that, as well as some practical questions regarding the conduction of according polls are controversial). Yet most of these people with a far-right worldview either stay at home on election day, or vote for one of the moderate parties. Most of them probably reject the NPD, because it seems too radical -- even people who think like Nazis often aren't aware how similar their opinions are to Nazist ideology and get worked up when someone points them to it. They believe they are "mainstream", and the NPD appears "radical" too them, so they don't vote for the NPD, despite certain ideological congruence.

So the established parties have not much to fear from the NPD yet.

Another tool in the hands of the established parties against the NPD is the possibility of a ban. In Germany, parties which "actively fight against the Constitution" can be banned by the highest court. That is why the NPD tones down their most radical stances in public, in order to avoid legal trouble. Yet some of their members were convicted of "incitement", like for example their chairman, who published a racist flyer which attacked a black member of the national German soccer team and then had to spend a few months in prison.

In 2003, such an attempt for a ban on the NPD failed, because the court found 15% of all members of the NPD are either informants, or even secret agents of the Office for Protection of the Constitution ("Verfassungsschutz" -- German NSA)! Because of that, the judges said they cannot be sure if some of the racist propaganda advanced by the NPD was created by the government in the first place, in order to further a ban.

But if the NPD becomes more successful, I am sure the established parties would file another plaint, this time withdrawing government agents from the party first, in order to have it banned.

9. fleinn

fleinn 101010

So is it a real concern, or do you think it's generally seen as a... healthy reminder when people do actual political work? Do they force a more open debate about immigration in the other parties, for example - or do they simply avoid the issue, and so on..?

I just keep wondering what sort of role they're playing. Like you say, they don't have any seats and they're marginalised - but 7% in some districts? I'm trying to imagine some .."NS revival union" getting 7% votes in any of our districts. And I guess I can't see what sort of place that would be..

They had fifteen nazis forming a party in secret in one town in Sweden, for example. Going there at night, renting an appartment in a different name, etc.

10. Gavik

Gavik Registered Member

Replace 'foreigner' with 'Mexican' in that platform paragraph and you've got a Karl Rove speech.

Oh yea, that looks like a guy I want to follow...:rolleyes:

Also, sign translation?