• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

A degree - Useful or not?

Shooting_Palanx

The Rock is cooking atm..
For those who are currently working on getting a degree at University, or have already gotten theirs, did you ever find that what you were working towards wasn't exactly what you thought it would be like. For e.g. Getting a graphics design degree and than realizing the actual job wasn't as cool as you thought it would be? Or it didn't meet your expectations?

This sort of idealism, leads to you thinking whether your degree was actually useful or not. So for those who studied and got their degrees, or those working towards it, do you guys feel that it is/was useful for you or not? :)

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I would trade it back in a heartbeat.

The days in which you could pick a field, get a degree and be successful are very over. What people need to do these days is pick the careers where the money is because let me tell you, even lawyers are getting buried under their student loans.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree with Merc, it according what you have a degree in. If the market is flooded your not likely to get a job in that field and if you do might not pay what you were expecting. Really need to see where the demand is.

dDave

V.I.P.
I'm doing my best to get through college without any student loans, I figure it will really help for the future.

I'm going for a degree in Computer Information Systems (CIS/IT), it's a field where you can actually get a job that pays well after graduation.

It does all depend on what you have a degree in though. For some things college has remained very important, for others it hasn't. You can get all sorts of certifications these days that aren't college.

I do think it's good to educate yourself though.

Shooting_Palanx

The Rock is cooking atm..
Couldn't agree more Dave :) I think this kind of challenges your perspective on what you find useful vs what you actually like (which gives me a good idea for a thread) Being realistic, yet also following your passion. I did quite a bit of research and my field of study actually needs more people and have countless job offers due to the high demand in that field.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
According to this article a high school diploma is pretty much useless these days. So you should go to college if you can. Just try to get a degree in something there is a demand for or you won't be much better off.

A High-School Diploma Is Pretty Much Useless These Days

MedicineShow

Registered Member
I have a college degree in Psychology and it's useless because I don't work in the field and never intended to. But in high school, people told me "all you need to do is prove you can finish something', so I did. I've worked nothing but jobs I was overqualified for since then, yet when I've applied to better jobs, I was told "you have no experience". "And how I get experience?", I asked. "You work a job in this field." "But you won't give me a job in this field?" "That's right." "And my degree means nothing to you?" "Not in Psychology." So I try to get a job in my field, and I'm told "You need a Masters." And how do I afford to get a Masters making just above minimum wage?" "Not my problem."

No good answers. The powers that be in all workplaces always assume there is a lesser employer out there, but all box out good workers at the bottom.

Degrees are useless unless they're very specific, and even then, no promises.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I would trade it back in a heartbeat.

The days in which you could pick a field, get a degree and be successful are very over. What people need to do these days is pick the careers where the money is because let me tell you, even lawyers are getting buried under their student loans.
I disagree, in my opinion nothing replaces education and nothing helps more by way of success than education. It's not a guarantee but it's a huge help, especially if you get an advanced degree. Student loans are a problem, I agree, but I wouldn't trade my education for anything. Education is an accomishment I value even more than material things.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have a college degree in Psychology and it's useless because I don't work in the field and never intended to. But in high school, people told me "all you need to do is prove you can finish something', so I did. I've worked nothing but jobs I was overqualified for since then, yet when I've applied to better jobs, I was told "you have no experience". "And how I get experience?", I asked. "You work a job in this field." "But you won't give me a job in this field?" "That's right." "And my degree means nothing to you?" "Not in Psychology." So I try to get a job in my field, and I'm told "You need a Masters." And how do I afford to get a Masters making just above minimum wage?" "Not my problem."

No good answers. The powers that be in all workplaces always assume there is a lesser employer out there, but all box out good workers at the bottom.

Degrees are useless unless they're very specific, and even then, no promises.
Have you ever tried to get a job at a youth center. Its a place they send kids that are in trouble with the law. Warning though some are there for murder. I use to work at one as a secretary and they hired physiologists. They usually had groups where they allowed the kids to express their feelings. Part of their rehabilitation I suppose. Never sat in on one myself.