• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

a core piece moving out?

Rontzeeez

Registered Member
According to Pierre Lebrun and Craig Custance, a core piece or at least someone with a lot of cap is moving out this summer. Who do you think it is? Plekanec? Markov? Galchenyuk?

EdgeHead

Registered Member
I hope it's not Chucky. He's been so much valuable lately. Hottest player in the league right now.

I'm thinking it's Tomas Plekanec. I think Habs could get something of decent value in return for him. As for Markov, I think that with his age, I'm not sure a team would be willing to give the Habs an important player in return. Unless Markov is part of a package deal?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Lol. Galchenyuk is not going anywhere. And I would take this "rumour" with a grain of salt.

Rontzeeez

Registered Member
I'm obviously not thinking of galchenyuk, just throwing names. I still think the 2 pieces that need to be moved is Desharnais and Emelin, a combined 7.6M in cap space relief and plus gilbert being a free agent and all makes us over 10M in cap space. More could be added imo

Crypticshock

Registered Member
It's Emelin. No move clause turns into limited. DD too. There was talk of him going at deadline... I think the writing is on the wall. Galchenyuk 1 C. McCarron 3 C. I see Plekanec or a new player will be 2 C. DD gone.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
God, I'm getting so sick of Plekanec. Every year, it's the same thing. Won't be the case this year but every year come playoff time, he just shuts down. Enough of this crap. Move him out.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
Do you guys honestly believe the Habs will be able to find suitors for Deharnais and Emelin? Even if teams are giving up later picks, no one wants to take on that money.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
Unless they use those free buyouts from the latest bargaining agreement. Don't the Habs stil have 2 of them, with one being used on Scott Gomez?

TheAngrySportsGuy

Registered Member
PA Parenteau not Gomez
Too bad for the Habs. Probably could have used a 20 goal scorer this year! ;)

This is like a Leafs fan thread, "lets trade this over-priced piece of trash for a good piece going forward."

Galchenyuk isn't going anywhere. And almost everyone else is over priced. Might be able to get something for Subban, but $9m/year is tough to swallow for an ultra talented but still very flawed player.

Probably have to eat salary on everyone else. And I think those "free" buyouts had an expiration date that has long since passed. Would have to use a regular buyout now, I believe.

But let's be honest, this team is going to compete for a playoff spot next year because they have the best goalie in the world. It's quite evident based on what happens when he's in the net and when he's not in the net. He should win MVP this year just as Peyton Manning should have won it the year he was out all year. You never know how valuable a guy is until he's gone. Stats alone don't bare that out.